American Locomotion

keith-1200140

Please Hornby I just want a Shay and Heisler on my layout and I don't wanna spend a fortune on eBay (perhaps having its own section [think sets engines etc.]) and I believe it would net a lot of profit and enjoyment for American collectors.

Sincerely- a guy who likes Heislers and Shays

I think you'll need to spend a (small) fortune either way!

Are you suggesting a OO Hornby geared loco, or an HO model for American Collectors? If in HO, then Hornby already offer a 2 truck Heisler  in a number of liveries under their Rivarossi brand and have previously offered 3 truck versions. Shays have been offered RTR by both Bachmann and Roundhouse as well as in kit form from Roundhouse. There have also been many runs of brass Shays in both HO and HOn3 and 2, 3 and 4 truck versions. If Hornby were to produce an HO Shay, then it is unlikely it would be cheaper than the current Heisler.

Of course, Hornby have a track record of producing excellent OO scale industrial locomotives so perhaps a OO scale model of the Bilston Shay, the only loco of its type to work in the UK would be an opportunity. This would, however, be a difficult proposition given the narrow gauge of OO and the Shay's gearing without making the model look awkward.