My collection so far.

SD45elect2000

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks DD.

Time is getting tight. But I often build in groups so several models progress through the construction and painting at nearly the same time. It results in several completed models at once.

I’m working on the last three Spitfires, one for the Eagle squadron and two in the Mid stone and dark earth both with clipped wings. Also finishing a Mosquito. I’m not certain what to tackle after that, I don’t really have anything in the que.

Randall

Hi Rod,

I will have a go at a beat up Dakota, the problem is that it’s deep in the stash someplace. I don’t readily see it.

i was thinking about my Airfix Beaufighter conversion to a MkII and two other Airfix Beaufighter. I certainly like the kit. I also want to build the MkIV Blenheim to go with my MkI.

I have a couple of Stirlings that look interesting as well as several Lancasters. Don’t forget about the Hamden I recently got .

I can do aircraft types or I can do themes like operation Dynamo, or operation Pedestal.

So many choices…

This group turned me on to the Eagle Squadron, maybe the group can settle my mind on the next project?

Randall

Hi Randall
I fully understand about so many choices. I can’t help about your Beaufighter conversion but I can warn you about the mkIV Blenheim. The cockpit almost assembles separately from the rest of the fuselage. You have to then slide it into position in the fuselage section. Probably clearer if you read instructions. I have read reports that it didn’t fit too well. When I did the Blenheim to represent the plane my dad flew in I found slightly filing the the areas you would glue to fix it helps to get a snug fit. You have to be precise how the cockpit assembles. Must be very sure to get it all fitting properly. The halves must close up without gaps. Hope that is clear. Probably easier when you actually do it yourself having been warned than to follow my instructions.
Rod
PS Finding kits in my stash as problematic. However I think yours will be more organised than mine. I am an untidy mind.

HI Rod

With 3500 kits stacked floor to ceiling 5 deep, not a lot of organization.

Randall

Hi Rod,

ok, here are the themes I can do:

Spanish civil war

Fall grun destruction of Czech.

Dynamo Dunkirk

Battle of Britain

Battle of Britain luftwaffe

Cinzano, Italians over Britain

Merkur Crete May 1941

Rebellion in Iraq Exporter May- June 1941

Java Sea

Jubilee August 1942

Malta Axis and Allies

Ironclad May 1942 Diego Suarez.

Midway US

Pedestal August 1942

Torch Nov 1942

Flax Sicily spring 1943

I Go Sakusen Port Moresby April 1943

Thursday Burma March 1944

Bombing of the Brno August 1944

Meridian Sumatra Jan 1945

Bodenplatte Jan 1945

all these sets are multiple aircraft, sometimes 20 or so.

I do not have all of the models for all of the sets but I have most of them.

Randall

Hi Rod,

obviously I have an interest in all of the above list. Operation Pedastal is very interesting to me.

What I will do when I finish my current projects is to build my three Airfix Lancasters, maybe toss in Stirling and Hampden and collect the kits I need , (whether I have them need to buy them) and do the Pedestal set.

Ill keep you up to date as the builds progress.

Randall

Hi Randall
I will be holding my breathe for your Pedestal project!
One campaign you didn’t mention which is growing interest to me is the Guadalcanal air campaign with the cactus airforce. I recently got some books about it.
I seem to have an interest in island air campaigns, I guess.
Rod
Do you have or can get decal sheets for all those campaign options or what do you do?
There used to be a manufacturer that did a series of decals on “ Forgotten Campaigns” but it seems to have stopped.

If you look up DP Casper decals you can see all of the sets. They are still making them. Hannants has a stock of them but I haven’t had a lot of luck with getting anything from UK.

I don’t have anything specific to Guadalcanal however I do have several individual air craft from there.

I also have a Starfighter decal set of “Wake Island Wildcats” and I have all 12 Airfix wildcats for it.

there are at least two more sets I want, one is Greece and the other is Abyssinia. I will get those in due time.

Randall

Hi Randall
I have added a note about Sea Hurricanes for you in my thread but will continue it here as you said.
I thought the Airfix Wildcat kits and Their Martlet kits were basically one and the same with little or no difference as visually the F4F-4 was the same as the Martlet Mk IV at least as far as it goes in 1/72 scale.
Rod
Hard to pass on all information but if you ask the questions maybe I can answer them as best I can.

Thanks Rod, I replied on your thread. The British are going to be outnumbered by the AXIS aircraft for sure.

Here is a list of the aircraft:

Sea Hurricane MkI o7H

Fulmar MkII 6Fo

Martlet MkII o6M

Bf109F

RE2001

JU87B

JU87D

JU88A4

SM79

Its one of the smaller sets but it should be an interesting group.

Randall

Hi Randall
when you said the models for allied forces was on light side compared to axis forces kits a thought came to mind. Aircraft from Malta did fly in defence of the convoy when it was closer to the island. Beaufighter mk1s flew as fighter cover. Modified Spitfires flew with two 44 galleon tanks from Hurricanes. The tanks were side by side under the fuselage of the Spitfires. I think they were all my VCs So you could modify any of the Airfix kits that way.
As for markings and camouflage colours it was anybody’s guess. Time for artistic license but suggestions could be given.forum_image_63fb22828f522.thumb.png.925f48631fb6113159c15d78a7e79a8a.png

That is interesting , I do have a set specific to the Malta based aircraft. I’ll look and see if one of them can have these tanks. I suppose I have a 50% chance of getting the paint scheme right, either it’s ocean grey/ green or Mid stone/ dark earth.

I have three spitfires under construction now. The last Eagle squadron plane and two kit decal planes with two different air filters, one with clipped wings .

These tanks are unlike anything that I’ve seen so far, certainly doable.

Big help Rod, thank you for the ideas.

Randall

I just got the Arma sea hurricane kit. of the five decals options, four of them are for operation pedestal aircraft. here is the problem. I hate wasting decals. I have roughly 40 Airfix Hurricanes. I am planning to build the Arma sea hurricane parallel to an Airfix hurricane to learn if the Airfix kit is easily adaptable to sea hurricane. I'm planning on building all of the British aircraft at the same time.

Randall

Hi Randall
Have you got any of the Airfix sea hurricane kits?
Have you got any of the armahobby hurricanes?
Have you got any of the Revell sea hurricane kits?
If you plan to adapt the Airfix hurricane mk1 kit then you have some conversion work to do. You can’t really use the wings from mk1 Airfix kit as they are fabric covered and panel lines are wrong. You would have to engrave correct panel lines once you rubbed the fabric effect down. Another option is if you have the earlier Airfix Hurricane mk1 kit. They are metal wings and panel lines correct. You just need arrestor hook to put on and a de Havilland propeller. Some small thin plastic card for oil deflector just behind propeller. I used body putty and shaped it. My hands couldn’t do plastic and option.

Can I refer you to my conversion of the Airfix hurricane to a sea hurricane.
Rod

Hi Rod,

I just got the Arma sea hurricane, I think I have the Revell one someplace. I did read your Hurricane thread, I just need to visualize it myself.

I don’t have any of the Airfix sea hurricanes. I forgot about the fabric wings on my MkI s….

Randall

Hi Randall
You don’t want to waste decals means you have to collect the parts for four more hurricanes to convert to sea hurricanes. If you plan to use the fabric mk1 Hurricane you four sets of parts to carry it out. That means four sets of wings unless you plan to engrave the panel lines.
All I can say is good luck to you!
Rod

I went ahead and bought more sea hurricanes. I’m getting started on building the group now.

Randall

I have roughly 40 Airfix Hurricanes.

Hi Randall
Are all those Hurricanes the fabric wing covered mk1 kits?
Rod

Yes, there are a bunch of them. Between Munich crisis , phoney war, battle of Belgium,France, Battle of Britain, I think I have enough decals for all of them.

The Hurricane is one of my favorites.

Randall

• 2 weeks later...

Randall,

it depends how detailed your model needs to be.

If you look at the photo above, the Airfix Demon might be a good place to start. It has the cut-down gunners position which is tricky to create from a Hart. You would just need to fit exhausts as per the photo. Possibly’kidney’ type.

Then it’s a case of adding the Army cooperation equipment (message hook).

As I say, this can be as easy or as difficult as you want it to be.