GER T26 / LNER E4 2-6-0

TooOldToCare

The LNER J15 0-6-0 is one of the best Hornby locos, and I believe sells well. I have 5 in various LNER and BR paint schemes. I assume Hornby know that the E4 2-4-0 was a close sister, using the same boiler, cab and tender, so they already have most of the parts needed to make the E4. Introduced in 1891 as a mixed traffic loco, it became the staple for East Anglian for branch lines, 100 were built, they last in BR service until 1959, and one is preserved. May I suggest thet the E4 would be a perfect loco for Hornby to issue. All Hornby need to do is make a 2-4-0 chassis and mate it to the rest of the J15 parts already in manufacture. BTW, for variety, in 1935/6 the LNER modifed six with all-weather cabs to work on the NER line over Stainmore Summit, where they were very successful.

I would definitely be up for one of these, and, as you say, many of the parts are common to the J15. Did they ever run in GER blue? That would be an attractive extra livery.

I have a white metal kit which I bought secondhand, but the chassis is a bit dodgy and the gears aren't meshing correctly so it will need a total rebuild.