200th Anniversary: Rainhill Trials 1829-2029

What About The Bee

With the 200th Anniversary of the Rainhill Trials approaching, I would hope that Messrs Hornby et al would consider producing ALL of the competitors.

Rocket is already in place, and surely Messrs Hornby et al are aware of the sales power of the locomotive.

Novelty, Perseverance and Sans Pareil each have boilers in which a motor could be tucked away. A 6 pin chip will be interesting.

Extra points for Cycloped! It would be simply amazing if the horse was to somehow move its legs. Put a really high gear in, to keep the velocity quite slow. This is sure to be a coveted model.

The requisite loads and cars that each competitor was required to haul could be an additional sale. I surely would purchase that as well.

The trials occurred in early October, 1829. It is now late September 2022. That gives Hornby just over 7 years (plus a few odd days) to make this happen. Make this so Hornby!!!

What little I know of marketing suggests that the public likes to participate in anniversary celebrations.

The public likes to commemorate an event with a purchase related to the event. Be it a £4 pamphlet, a £30 static display or even fully functional OO models. That object is a tangible reminder to the person who owns it of the celebration. Product at all price points is therefore a reasonable approach.

There is nothing wrong with what you have suggested. A Corgi set would indeed be spectacular. Certainly, not every enthusiast wants Novelty to pull a consist or Cycloped to be running up and down the rails. Yet many would commit a part of their layout to a static display. So yes, a Corgi Commemorative as well!

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

forum_image_63484a0fb1966.thumb.png.cde038d07257f9602cdae55d529be62a.pngforum_image_63484a12e7632.thumb.png.6237c89eb6885e8a43894a7593a8907e.pngforum_image_63484a17ed4bc.thumb.png.11f89e1b46d39e2ed81c71d787096753.pngforum_image_63484a1beebe0.thumb.png.bd840132d84dbfaa5ebaffefe3060461.png

Earlier, regarding the Rainhill Trials, I wrote:

The requisite loads and cars that each competitor was required to haul could be an additional sale. 

Full stop. What exactly did those wagons look like? There are precisely two engravings from the 1800s we can examine. A simple google search will show both of them. Google "competition rainhill" and then select the images tab. I present them here for convenience.

Turn your attention to Image 1. The text online, associated with this image, indicates that it was created in 1898. So disappointingly, this image is not a contemporary image, whatsoever. The Rainhill Trials occurred 69 years earlier than the image, which likely precludes the artist from having witnessed the event. So where did the artist get the inspiration from?

Image 2 shows the indisputable source of image 1. All of the design elements of the image are the same. Rainhill Skew bridge on the left, the stands in the background and Rocket with 2 wagons. In real life, the stands were ¼ mile from the bridge, yet both images show the stands nearly abutting the bridge. Rocket is hauling the same number of wagons. Rocket is facing the same direction. The only difference is the angle we view Rocket from. In 1898, it is an isometric view of Rocket, in image 2, an elevation view of Rocket.

The source for Image 2? The book entitled "The Life of George Stephenson and of his son Robert Stephenson; Comprising also a History of the Invention and Introduction of the Railway Locomotive"; By Samuel Smiles, 1857. The image may be found on page 324.  

Now some have proposed that this image is conjectural. Further, since it is from 1857, that the drawing suffers from the similar defect of artist imagination.  

Let me put paid to that discussion, immediately.  

In the 1868 edition, the preface states: "In preparing the original work for publication, the author [samuel Smiles] enjoyed the advantage of the cordial cooperation and assistance of Robert Stephenson, on whom he mainly relied upon for information".

Furthermore, there is much existent correspondence from Robert Stephenson to Samuel Smiles. This particular letter

https://collection.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/documents/aa110100407

from Robert Stephenson mentions the biography of his father, to Samuel. It is clear they collaborated. Today, we might call this ghost writing.

From the acknowledgment in the preface, I conclude that Robert Stephenson had approval over the work produced. That the content was subject to his approval. The drawing that represented one of his most crowning achievements had his direct involvement and approval. Robert Stephenson was not just a competitor, he was present and participated in the event. His memory of his fantastic achievement would have burned brightly in his minds eye, for all his life. He was there. He triumphed! The drawing of his achievement, 'Competition at Rainhill', should portray that!

Let us now turn to Image 3. Image 3 is a close up of image 2, wherein we examine Rocket and Rocket's Rainhill wagons. One thing that seems apparent to me, in 2022, is that the wagons look very much like the tender. The only difference seems to be that the tender has the water barrel mounted, but the tender is otherwise identical to the wagons. Notice the quantity of panels, the height of the three wagons, the length. All very similar or in fact, the same.

As well, in 1898, the artist has observed the identical nature of the tender and wagons. Image 1 shows the tender and wagons cut from the same cloth. 

We have an 1857 drawing approved by Robert Stephenson himself. An 1898 drawing, derived from the 1857 drawing, clearly identifying what we can observe as well. The wagons and tenders are all the same!

Image 4. Hornby Rocket (R3809 / R3810 / R3956) is shown with two wagons R60164.  

Your views are solicited.