Using primer for first time

Hello all I have just got into building models and want to start using an air sprayer for priming before painting. Have seen a few YouTube videos and was thinking of using Vallejo acrylic primers for the base coat?, was just after some tips as to if this stuff is good enough or is there anything else I should be using plan to use acrylic paints also as much as possible mainly revel or Tamiya paints but also wanted to know if mr hobby paints are any good?

Hi Tony ,

Yes Vallejo primer works well they do various grey primers all are decent .

You may want to get some Vallejo thinners too as it will probably need to be thinned a little.

Just make sure you get the appropriate thinners

i.e Acrylic thinners for Acrylic paint

Enamel thinners for Enamel paint , you can't use enamel thinners for Acrylic.

I have always used Vallejo and have never had issues .

Just clean your surface and spray a 1st dust coat then build up the coats .

Hope this helps and enjoy your modeling and remember you model for you so don't worry about any mistakes just enjoy and have fun .

I like Vallejo Primers as well. If you are going to be using acrylic paints, a primer really helps the paint bite. I thin them with Vallejo’s proprietary acrylic thinner and add a drop or two of flow improver. I spray in thin dusting coats until the desired coverage is achieved. The primer is dry to the touch in minutes. It is not cured though as this process (for me at least) takes 24-48 hours relative to humidity (summers where I am in the American South can be brutally humid and thus extend curing times for acrylic paints).

Depending on your airbrush setup and spray method you may experience tip dry. When this happens to me, I simply clean the tip of the airbrush with a soft brush moistened with Vallejo Airbrush Cleaner, spray the excess off, and return to spraying the model.