Reentering the hobby - please advise

Hi all,

First of all, thank you for accepting me over here. To begin with, i'm from Belgium (Flanders) and a native Dutch speaker so please forgive me if i'm not getting everything correct right away laguage-wise.

My own model building experience ended +20 years ago and was based on what i learned from my dad. So all ways of working from long before the internet.

Now i'd like to restart with my 11-year old son. It's not the goal to produce award-winning pieces but to have some great times but nevertheless i'd like to make a model as good as possible.

We'd like to start with 1:72 scale aircraft.

The BAE Red Arrows Hawk starter kit looks like a great set to start with.

Here's my step-by-step plan in general lines. Please advise me or correct me. All tips and tricks are welcome.

1. whilst the parts are on the sprues, priming them with a primer spray (several coats)
  2. assemble the kit, painting smaller parts like cockpit
  3. masking the parts like cockpit and spray/airbrush the assembled kit
  4. touching up some spots
  5. adding a satin varnish (spray)
  6. adding decals
  7. finishing with a satin varnish coat

Does this sound about right?

Thanks for your input.

Chris.

• 3 months later...
Can these scratches be sanded out by (wet) sanding? Or any other tips/tricks?

Use increasingly fine grades of abrasive. I tend to favour foam sanding sticks, if you do a search for Infini Softback Sanding Sticks you can get a set of eight that range from 220 (coarse) to 4000 (ultra fine). Wash them out after use and they'll last quite a long time. They're really good at polishing out scratches on transparencies, a polish up with the 4000 will give you a good glossy surface.

• 3 weeks later...