Paint correspondence

Hello everyone.

I used to build models when I was a kid, then I stopped for some decades, now I'm about starting again.

For certain reasons I bought the first kit I ever did in my life, the L.T.V. Vought Corsair A7 by Airfix. I found and original one, I think 1974 or so.

For the same reasons as above I wanted to paint it using Humbrol lacques however when I checked the instructions I noticed that in the meanwhile several things have been changed since the paint codes are completely different.

A guy at a model shop told me Humbrol doesn't produce many colours anymore and the closest correspondence with them it's AK paint.

I checked online but I haven't found any correspondence between the old Humbrol codes and the new ones.

I wanted to paint the model with the Humbrols but in case there is no more some colours, I'd prefer Mr.Hobby (Gunze) if they produce those colours, otherwise I'll go for the AK.

But the problem is to know if the old colours are still available and the correct codes.

Thank you everyone and sorry for the long message.

Hi Telo and welcome back to modelling. I suspect you used to use Humbrol enamel paints as they never did lacquers. The paint numbers are all the same (though the descriptions may have altered on some) and they use the same numbers for acrylics too.

For example #1 started off as Eau de nil but quickly changed to Grey Primer and has been so ever since.

#2 has always been Gloss Emerald

#3 has always been Gloss Brunswick Green

etc etc

Just watch out, you cannot mix enamels and acrylics - it's one or the other (I'm an acrylic user). Airfix paint codes were different to Humbrol so maybe some confusion has entered there.

Your model shop may not stock Humbrol paint, but it is still widely available.

Hello everyone and thanks alot for the answers.

Yees, Ratch, I meant enamels. Or better, I wanted to mean enamels.

I know it's not possible to mix enamels and acrylics.

In the end I was able to find a certain correspondence not withint the Humbrol codes but checking a AK code sheet. For the correct colour scheme I found a number of Squadron magazine on the Corsair, where the Federal Standard codes are indicated.