High Fell, BR (NER) in TT 120

Rallymatt

It’s not fully to scale, hopefully there will be enough operators space between the two boards, I can just sneak enough space behind the cutting backscene to run along to the Dock area. With plenty of ‘modellers licence’ it’s a suggestion of Tyne Dock, which was massive in its day and freight only but this version has a passenger transfer terminal and tiny in comparison.

The ‘Ports Express’ (inspired by a real service) runs between Port of Tyne and Liverpool often stopping at High Fell to take on water and always to negotiate the loop that enables single loco trains to master the climb through the Durham Dales and on through the Pennines.

Looking to see if I can find a suitable moving crane to operate from the boats to the freight sidings for Iron Ore heading to Consett Steel Works, preparing for a rake of 21t mineral wagons and a 9f (this is a distant dream) possible oil terminal and need to think of the van loading/unloading facilities.

The board can only be 230mm deep so some creative thinking needed!

As a nod to a famous landmark, I am planning on something to create an impression of the Tyne Dock Arches.

I have been waiting for the 9f before I laid first bit of track! Love them 😁

I’m disappointed Garry that you are not knocking one up as we speak (Westinghouse air pumps please)

Think I may have found a crane, 3D printing has transformed the hobby.

I’m disappointed Garry that you are not knocking one up as we speak (Westinghouse air pumps please)

Sorry about that but I have the bits (in stock and/or on order) for a few more locos giving me some from the big 4 (BR livery) and BR regions.

Plus, gone mad and going to have a go at a large diesel too.

That will give me about 12 different classes of loco most not even mentioned by Hornby.

Plenty to keep me busy over the next few months I think.

Garry, I’m staggered by the number and quality of the locos you have already populated your layout with! very impressive stuff.

Thanks Dave, I’m planning a surprise visitor when the dock area is up to scratch 😉

Timber is calculated and ordered along with track and electrics.

If anyone has ever seen some of the excellent videos on Yarslow, something the chap (sorry don’t know his name) has mentioned, that kept going round in my head was the idea of giving trains somewhere to go. It’s not always possible, even in TT:120 but I might just get away with it and hopefully not made the operating space too small. A swivel stool is next on shopping list to replace a dining chair 😁

The only thing is, the Tyne Dock arches would only be impressive from the road; each individual arch would of course carry one or at most two lines. Mostly if not wholly a place where coal was tipped into ships.

In reality the passenger terminal was/is on the opposite side of the river at the Albert Edward Dock, although at one time quite large ships came upriver as far as Newcastle Quayside, just short of the Swing Bridge.

The main dock baseboard is done, and had a little re-jig on the track plan. I want to try and recreate the ‘busy’ look of track. It’s very linear but that’s docks for you 🤣

A mix of medium but mainly short radius radius points, all electrics sourced (harder than last time! Chip shortage is biting) seen some inspiring ideas for working the dock ‘pavement’. This is quite a departure for High Fell, being industrial and architectural in contrast to the dales landscape. forum_image_6465326d69f72.thumb.png.af39c02293e54fa9eb4d3d7b6dbe105e.png

You really don’t hang around! It’s looking fab already… I can’t wait to see the completed project in railway modeller ! Seriously though your layout will be one of the initial standout layouts in the new uk scale (no pressure!) and I hope you get to show it off somewhere.

Cheers people. I do like to try and make some headway to keep project momentum going. Currently at a thinking stage for the area behind the arches, I am settling on a plan now I can see how it’s developed so far. Once that is done then I can move to track laying and ‘breaking’ through part of Cragg Edge cutting. There is not a lot of space to play with for working so it’s has to be carefully planned!

Ha ha , I see what you did there TT 🤣

I don’t mind taking some parts down to put something new in. I try to approach it in the same way the engineers on the railway would. Pulling up lines, re-sculpting stations, cutting through scenery. It’s a bonus in the hobby that it’s so easy to change bits. Hardest part on this little bit of excavating is so tight on space. I should also be able to replace the only track joint on the layout I wasn’t happy with 😁

Spent a little time on refining the arches and tunnel mouth. In modelling it’s always good to not throw anything away! This area is going to quite dark, dank and grubby, but where a bit of sunlight hits the natural world gets a foothold and all manner of vegetation springs into life forum_image_646fcb83df4d4.thumb.png.ad2bf990b50ac9d7dc5b63278fb659e2.pngforum_image_646fcb8845bf4.thumb.png.68580af97b392e14bc77265a79f22f32.png