Which Varnish and when?

Hi All I am new to the hobby, after reading a number guides on painting/varnishing I am still a little confused.

I plan to hand paint with Arcrylic,apply a gloss varnish, apply decals, weather with enamel and varnish again with Matt/Satin.

I believe I need to use the opposite varnish to the paint, my confusion is which type of varnish to use (Arcrylic /Enamel) and when? Maybe I’m missing a step or over thinking it all.

I believe I need to use the opposite varnish to the paint, my confusion is which type of varnish to use (Arcrylic /Enamel) and when? Maybe I’m missing a step or over thinking it all.

Probably over thinking.

I use acrylic paints. I spray on an acrylic varnish to seal, then weather with powders using white spirit (same as enamels) and then seal with acrylic matt. No problem.

• 5 months later...

So I finally got around to building a Tiger 1, I took my time and was very pleased with my build and hand painting however I decided to seal the paint with Humbrol acrylic Matt varnish spray, on my return a day later I noticed lovely desert tank had almost turned white and had an almost bleached look! What did I do wrong?

Unfortunately, aerosol varnishes sometimes have this effect. The whitening is caused by too much matting agent. You might try applying a gloss varnish over it and it may have the desired effect. I had a similar problem with this one.

51170929480_611fa1d053_c.jpg