Colours 106 and 159

Fifty five years ago as a young boy I was an avid Airfix kit collector and I wasn't too fussy about colour accuracy. I have recently got back to modelling after being given a model. I have joined the club, bought some models, a range of paints and run into a problem.

I have started the Churchill VII which on the box has colour 159 Khaki Drab in large print (in smaller print it's 158) for most of the model and in the instructions it's 159. This colour is on the Humbrol wall chart but it's not in the shop. One could ask 'Why not?' but what is a good alternmative. Some photos of real Churchills I have seen look much more green anyway.

I also have a starter kit of a RAF Mustang IV which uses 106 Ocean Grey but on the wall chart it is Ocean Green although to be fair in the shop it is Ocean Grey although it has a distinct green tint to it in the shop picture.

Any advice would be helpful.

I am also going to attempt rust and weathering which I never did as a boy.

Hi Richard, with all colours its a question of how accurate you want to be. Manufacturers will always recommend the colour in their range that they deem nearest to the colour of their chosen scheme. Other manufacturers will offer different shades. Do you want an accurate colour or one that's near enough? (That will be a personal choice). Do you have access to brands of paint other than Humbrol?

The colour of tanks changed fairly often during WW2. You might try a mix of 50% Vallejo Model Color 70888 92 Olive Grey + 50% Vallejo Model Color 70924 94 Russian Uniform WWII FS34127 RLM83. Mike Starmer gives this as a good match for ACI.533 12 April 1944; SCC.15 Olive Drab, BS.987C introduced as the new basic colour. Disruptive painting to continue as before. Bailey bridges will remain SCC 2 (brown) to distinguish components from the US made equipment for that purpose. 

SCC.15 Olive Drab was the first colour in this series to be officially named.  Please note; this colour does NOT match the US Army colour of that name nor does it match FS.34088 neither is it the current No 298 Olive Drab.

As for Ocean Grey, Vallejo Model Color 70869 162 Basalt Grey FS36152 RAL7012 RLM75 or Vallejo Model Air 71048 Dark Sea Grey if you airbrush.

HTH

Excellent! Thanks very much.

I am using Humbrol and Revell paints at the moment and I didn't realise there are so many didn't manufacturers, until I joined this forum.

I started trial mixing with Olive Green 86, Khaki 26 and Black 33 and have come fairly close to the colour on the box, although printing colours must be a challenge as much paint manufacture and colours on screen.

I did wonder if colours and camoflague changed during the war.

It must be a minefield of detail for producers of WWII films if they want accuracy.