Advice NeededThe rear pony truck seems to be a problem. Fitting PECO/Hornby Dublo couplings to a Wrenn N2

81F

I have a spare Wrenn N2 which has lost its original triang type couplings to which I would like to fit a set of PECO/Doublo couplings so it can pull my collection od Hornby Dublo wagons.

I recall my original N2 had a conversion pack so I know it is possible but that is long gone so I am trying to collect the bits I need and just want some confirmation that I am heading in the right direction and advice on components.

The original triang front coupling was held on by a solid brass shouldered rivet, Am I right in that all I need to do is get one of the push on plastic couplings to clip around the shoulder. If yes would this be the straight or cranked type?

However, the pony truck is presenting some a problems as follows:

1. I have recently purchased a conversion back which contains a self tapping screw, brass collar and straight coupling. I know it will fit the R1 but I do not know if this is correct for the N2. - will I need to get a cranked coupling?
  2. The original lug that he;d the origina; triang coupling is getting in the way, so will need to be removed, but what is the best option. Do I file the lug down flush with the bracket which sticks out from the back of the pony truck or do I simply cut the bracket off?
  3. Having tried to self tapping screw into the hole in the pony truck I find that it is so tight that I risk damaging the head or shearing the screw. Should I therefore try to obtain a brass coupling revit (of which several are available on eBay) or simply open out the hole in the pony truck slightly?
  4. If using the rivit what size should I get or if using the self tapper can someone suggest a size of drill (I guessing that it would be the tapping size for the pony truck screw but this seems larger.

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Hi

With regards to using a rivet what type of coupling are you thinking of using metal or plastic?

As there are at least 3 maybe four rivets available, 2 are shouldered for plastic and are of two different lengths, the orther/s are the same only shouldered for the metal couplings .

Have a look at the Wrenngalore shop or cymull_76 both sell HD /Wrenn bits

Many thanks for the idea of using an old Hornby one but it wont fit unless Hornby produced two radically different chassis for their N"s. Having up ended my Father's Hornby Dublo N2, It was immediately obvious that the distance between the pony truck pivot and the trailing wheels is considerably longer than that of the Wrenn loco.

In addition the arm through which the pivot screw passes on the wrenn loco is above the trailing wheel axle while the hornbys one is below.

As my fathers model is a three rail version I thought I'd google the Hornby 2 rail version but all these seem to follow the 3 rail pattern.

Hi 81F

The HD N2 has a vertical motor chassis block like the Duchess.

Wrenn used a modified R1 chassis with a rear bogie attached with some small modification to the loco body.

Thanks for the heads up on the bogie being different you may have saved me some cash.

Give me a few days as I have ordered both HD couplings and coupling rivets so I will try to fit a HD coupling to my N2 without a rear coupling, the previous owner had cut off the plate that held the tension lock coupling in place so I would have to try and find a new rear bogie in any case. I will let you know how it went.