Upgrading Triang Liverpool and Manchester coach wheels

81F

I would like to replace the plastic wheelson my three Triang Liverpool and Manchester coaches and am wondering whether I should use split spoked wheels or plain spoked?

Which is likely to be more Authentic

Many thanks for any suggestions

Depictions by period artists, known good observers, show straight spoked wheels. Image after image, straight single spokes.

Stephenson approved a drawing of a third class (blue) carriage. Straight spokes.

The manufacturing problem is this. A cast wheel has three main components. The hub, the spokes and the wheel itself. When cast, the unequal mass of the spokes compared to the other components makes them cool more rapidly. This cooling causes shrinkage. Which sets up stress concentrations, cracking and breakage.

R. Stephenson is noted as early as 1815, working on this problem with Dodds. Dodds' nephew, who apprenticed there, later patented a wheel arrangement in which the spokes were tangent to the hub and at an angle to the wheel.

81F - this was a period of the grand railway experiment. Either choice is acceptable. Stephenson even patented a wheel that used tubes for spokes, the metal cast around them.

But if you want to match the imagery, straight spokes it is

Bee

Caledonian LMR28 is a very unusual locomotive. Vertical pistons, and odd connecting rod arrangement. On my make list, since Hornby will never manufacture it.

Caledonian is drawing a standard first class carriage. Caledonian only ran on the LMR, so we know this is an LMR carriage. The book it appears in contains several LMR images. I emphasize this LMR association.

forum_image_64e2fea6506bb.thumb.png.3932fd18a5e2737d05ed9dc3411237c1.png

Note that the spokes are simple straight spokes.

Here is the interesting part for you 81F. The artist took the time to depict the unusual piston arrangement. Would he not have sketched in any odd spoke arrangement too? I think the answer is, yes, he would, were it there.

I will repeat my earlier answer. You can actually and reasonably pick anything that you please. But in general, the simple, straight spokes were depicted for LMR carriages

Bee

Many thanks all,

Although nothing much to do with coach wheels my researches found this site:

https://www.newton-le-willows.com/?p=1751

Which is mostly about Lion 1979 rebuild/restoration but it does mention some interesting additions made by the LMS in 1929. As a result I am thinking that I should be asking about the replica coaches build for the LMR centenary rather than the originals!

In which case I am probably looking a straight coaches but a combination of bad eyesight and the quality of some of the photos on the web means that I am not sure.