Current L&M 3rd class coaches

81F

Please could someone post a picture of the underside of these coaches as I would like to see if it is possible to fit narrow tension lock couplings before buying any. This is so I can run them with my old Triang rocket coaches and possibly rocket itself if I ever get it DCC fitted.

Hi 81F

I've posted your requested picture.

I took the opposite approach. I converted my old Triang carriages (Times, Experience and Despatch) to the modern chain link couplings and dispensed with the tension lock couplings. That includes the Triang tender, which brings the older Rocket up to modern standards.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

Cheers

Bee

Thanks Bee,

I used to use three links but bad eyesight forced ma to give them up. Also I have a spot on my layout which is not conducive to three link couplings where my Lion will probably operate. However, your photos have convinced me that fitting narrow tension locks is possible, if not with the Parkside Dundas fittings then possibly something 3d printed.

Hi 81F

Should be no issue to fit narrow tension locks, side to side.

The slightly tricky bit will be the 3D undercarriage. There aren't any flat surfaces there. In an effort to match the centenary carriages, Hornby have reproduced quite a few undercarriage details. Not insurmountable by any stretch, but certainly something to consider

Bee

Thanks again Bee,

I have now obtained 3 coaches and converted one and am looking for other parts to finish of the remaining two. I will post my method in a separate thread as it might be useful to others.