Mainline Royal Scot info sheet

Rana Temporia

Thanks for posting, Rana. I don't remember having service sheets with my two Mainline locos but forty years ago I didn't really care that much about taking care of packaging and documentation. I have the Jubilee and GWR 2251. I'm sure the Jubilee uses the same chassis as the Scott. Both were working recently, but each time I run them I expect the axle insulators to fail and they will be consigned to the scrap line. The Mainline models were beautifully finished but mechanically a bit ropey and compared to my Hornby models they couldn't pull the skin off a custard! The Jubilee in particular loved to spin its wheels.

I haven't really noticed much deterioration in the packaging of my set. I was kept in a bedroom wardrobe for most of its life but its is attic bound now.

forum_image_64eef80a0f757.thumb.png.018052ed9f6eae16c1f453b027a9c3a9.png

From the images of Mainline Instruction/Service Sheets on Lendon's website, it does look as if the Jubilee and Rebuilt Scot used the same chassis, the sheet for the Jubilee at one point saying "If your Scot loco ........."

Peter's Spares has produced replacement plastic driving axle centre sections for Mainline and Bachmann loco's.

I know I replaced the brushes and springs in one of my Mainline ‘Peaks’ with some non-mainline ones but can’t remember what make they were. I think they are smaller than the Hornby and Lima ones so possibly Jouef? The peaks had appalling pick up capabilities, both mine had added pick ups on the motor bogie made from stripboard and guitar string and I used the rear floating wheels off both bogies to replace the tyred wheels. It made a massive difference to the running of the locos.

I would imagine that more modern versions had better pick-up options!