2024 Model Kit Wishlist and to go Boldly Before... (without splitting the Infinitive!)

Astrodoc

Some time ago, (2019) and on another "bee in my bonnet" topic, I commented on the dearth of actual "real space" models coming from Airfix.

I received no responses from this!

Actually, I am not surprised, having received nothing much from Airfix's competitors either, when this suggestion was first proposed.

The 50th anniversary of the Moon Landing had been celebrated, and passed by, in 2019.

Airfix dutifully came out with all their old selection of 60's and early 70's moulds, as did all your other main competitors.

But nothing much else happened. A missed opportunity, perhaps?

Since then, other important space achievements from ESA, Ariane, Russia, China, India and even SpaceX, have never really been announced as models by the big styrene companies.

These events were sometimes celebrated by other much smaller short-run companies, perhaps with some degree of success, but with relativley little impact.

No matter, I thought. Airfix will come through with the goods at some point and surprise us all! Well...

You eventually did, with the remarkable 1/48 Fairey Gannet - brilliant kit BTW!

But, alas, nothing really new, and truly innovative, when it came to "Real Space" models, came our way :((

So please, Mr Dale Luckhurst, as Head of Brand, do please think out of the box in the next few years and take a risk!

Consider future demographics. Your target introductory audience, as we all appreciate, is the younger generation.

But do not forget, at any cost, the extraordinarily devoted, and growing, older (50-60+) generation, who have the financial means to buy the more expensive kits!

For this generation, new moulds of the more unusual models, that may exhibit much less marketing appeal, than, say, yet another "new" Spitfire or "Hurricane variation" from an overly heavy range that is already out there, may not way the go to go!

There are innumerable Spitfires, Hurricanes, Lancasters, Vulcans, Hornets and everything else (WWII and Post War) out there. These all have their variations, markings etc.

Perhaps it is time to think outside the box, not just with old "Classic Kits", but with something new??

I fully realize you have to maximize the mould production and other costs in India/China/wherever, in addition to the sales, support, admin, logistics, distribution and all the expenses before presenting Airfix's annual EBIT final results for your masters at Hornby Hobbies. But perhaps there's an opportunity here?

There is a very real and tangible existing brand of older generation modellers who are more than willing, up to a limit, to paying the price for quality. If you cannot do this, through your "Airfix Classics" range, then consider giving the rights to a Short Run PS outfit or start up, with the right "machismo", to attract the right "troisième génération", as we in France say.

Airfix - you have done brilliantly over the last few years, with some truly original models that have turned out to be extremely popular, not just with aircraft, but with Armour, ships, Civil and others. But do not rest on your laurels.

Perhaps it's time to look elsewhere - both in the Past as well as to the Future.

My Personal Wishlist of your existing model PS tooling :

Captain Scarlet Angels Jet

Bristol Bloodhound Missile and Ground Crew

Bristol 192 helicopter

B29 Superfortress (1965 issue), Ref 781

Bristol Superfreighter (1/72) year 1963+, Ref 582

SRN4 Hovercraft, (1/144), 1970, SK912

2001 Orion Spacecraft, Sk701, 1969

North American Vigilante, 1971, Ref 492

I would have added the Fairey Rotodyne (Ref 482, year 1963+) but we all know that this is coming from Airfix YT vids. Great news this!!

Carry on & Good luck,

Bonne Chance

And keep the Space kits coming!!!!!

Steve

I would second all those kits on your wishlist, I'm waiting for the Bloodhound missile which is due for re-release soon.

I think a problem with space models now is that young people don't seem to be as interested in the subject as they used to be. Back in the day there was a genuine fascination with space exploration, I'm not sure when it will be coming back.

I would be keen to see some new sci-fi kits though, especially Gerry Anderson based.