Airfix Heritage Kits

ian_rutland

Just a thought. How many of us would buy replicas of the little Ferguson Tractor, Spitfire BT K, and The Mayflower? Each replica a direct copy of the original kits, in plastic bags with glossy paper headers. There could be a small booklet issued with each, showing the original kits, short history etc. I’m sure Airfix could make small changes to the tool, so that you could distinguish them from originals. I think the tools are still around for the latter kit. I still reckon that the original 50’s Mayflower is a beautiful little model.

If they modify the tooling they will never be able to re-issue the original - think of the 1/32 cars that got changed in the 70s/80s

I think you missed my point. The only tool likely to be still around is the one for The Mayflower. The Fergie and Spitfire will be long gone, so new tooling could incorporate a new feature to stop those folks who sell newer issues of old kits in original boxes. This could actually just be the plastic colour, or texture.

These would be Airfix Heritage, rather than Classics. They could be enclosed in one of the current end opening cases, and even include paint, cement and a brush, rather like starter kits. “Take a trip back to the ‘50’s with our heritage models.”

Beamish is opening the new ‘50’s street next year. This includes Romer Parrish Toy Shop. A very well known North East store. This will have to include some toys, games and models from the period, which could include the early Airfix kits. Being able to actually sell some of these items would certainly add to the visit to our past. Hornby had the link to NRM York with its Flying Scotsman in TT120, so why not a similar link with Airfix and Beamish Museum.

It’s an interesting point. In the diecast world the Corgi people have been recreating classic Corgi toy subjects from the fifties, sixties and seventies - reverse engineering new tooling better suited to modern manufacturing techniques and output volumes. Someone did the sums and decided that it was worthwhile…