Newbie help please

Hi All I have never built a model before I’m now 48 and keen to start, I have built up a decent stash of beginner kits and some for the future , have a decent tool kit thanks to lots of research on here and else where but I am stuck on a couple of points I’m hoping you all can help.

First I’m using acrylic paints Humbrol ,Vallejo model Color and tamiya mainly Humbrol though as I have the most of them in dropper bottles, and I will be brush painting.

my question is if I primered in say Vallejo could I use a Humbrol top coat then if I wanted could I use a tamiya colour on top for camo would they all be compatible.

second as they are all acrylics should I just thin with water and can i add a drop of say galleria flow improver to extend drying time and help the paint level out

lastly and I appreciate your patience my work bench is in a shed the shed is lined and has a vapour barrier installed but it will still be cold in the winter as there’s no heating, will it be ok to paint in there or should I paint in the house.

thanks sorry it’s so long

Vallejo Model Colour is aqueous, so there should be no compatibility issues using it with Humbrol acrylic. However, Tamiya acrylic is spirit based and you might get a reaction with water based paints. They can all be thinned with water. Tamiya acrylic is miscible with water but is probably best thinned with their own brand thinner, I'm not sure if this contains retarder, but again it's probably best to use their own brand retarder. Vallejo and Humbrol should work OK with the Galleria stuff. Optimum temperature for painting is 10+°, below that I think I'd be in a heated space regardless. wink

• 2 weeks later...

When we moved house, I started painting in the garage, which was lined. Now, I’m in the kitchen, which is warm. However, I do very little at a sitting, just one colour or two at the most. While assembly and finishing take longer, the advantage is that the paint has time to cure and be ready for what comes next. And I suppose my perceived impact on other activities is lessened. For me, it was all about establishing a balance.