SD.KFZ.251 Half Track - Colours (Vehicle used by Rommel in North Africa)

inkpen

The 1/32 'Rommel's Half Track' kit suggests use of Humbrol Linen as the overall exterior colour with a Dark Grey interior and exterior camoflagued areas.

The Linen is too light to represent the Dark Yellow paint used and the Dark Grey camoflague is simply wrong. My research indicates that the vehicle would have been supplied to the theatre in Dark Grey overall which was sprayed Dark Yellow in-theatre. The interior was left in the original Dark Grey.

Wear and tear in the harsh desert environment lead to the original Dark Grey showing through the oversprayed Dark Yellow in places, particularly in those areas featuring sharp edges, as a result of sand erosion. I've seen lots of photographs of Rommel in or near his vehicle and have never seen what could be taken to be camoflague on it, although deterioration of the paint scheme can be made out as described above.

My questions are:

1 what paint could be used to best represent the Dark Yellow/Dark Grey

2 is my research correct in that the Dark Grey should be used to represent a slight removal of the Dark Yellow through sand erosion, as above which would suggest a heavily weathered vehicle.

Responses would be most welcome.