Old Prairie my First Train

Hi, I am looking to identify the maker of my first train (set) with the thoughts of a rebuild for my great grandchildren, unfortunately my Father and Mother are long gone.

In the early 1960s I had an 00 Gauge black BR (Lion Crest) 262T “Prairie” Numbered 51xxx although this train may have been from 50s, (I was Six years old and it was my first train!) the coupling were slightly different from the rest of my Tri-ang Hornby locos/wagons, it also had solid wheels, I was fascinated by the fact it did not have a separate tender like my Princess Elizabeth, but it is 60 years ago. Tri-ang Hornby internet records only show these being made from 2001,

I have located all of the other trains / rolling stock I had via Hornby Railways Collector Guide - Year Menu (hornbyguide.com) but this one has eluded me

Thanks for any assistance you may be able to offer

It was probably a Graham Farish (Grafar) model. They had a smaller version of the Triang type coupling but could be converted to Hornby Dublo couplings. They had a very heavy cast body. There are several versions, the earliest had plunger pick-ups and a very poor motor. Later versions had see through wheels, pick up from the wheels and a much better motor which was quite powerful. The motors are a bit temperamental to set up and form part of the chassis. Their version of the 94xx pannier is a good source of spares as they are often available cheaply but you have to get the version with the same chassis, the pannier has even more types than the prairie having been made over a longer period. Watch for mazak rot in the chassis and body, some of the Grafar models disintegrate into a pile of dust at the slightest provocation.

The contemporary wagons and coaches would have been metal and are very heavy, the later plastic versions are much better.

Welcome to the forum.

To date from the 1950s, I think your loco must have been a Graham Farish ex-GWR prairie which was produced in BR black in 1952/3 but it carried the number 8103.

Tri-ang's BR black standard prairie 82004 was available from 1956, the Airfix GW prairie 6167 did not come along until 1977 and Lima's black small prairie 5574 followed in 1979.

(Acknowledgement to Pat Hammond's Catalogue of British Model Trains.)