Collett Crimson & Cream 57' Handed Coaches

ausrym

Hi all

I want to make up a small 2-coach branch line train. I want a brake 3rd corridor + a corridor composite.

I'm thinking of R4685A (right hand) and R4687A (left hand) respectively? Do I need this combo so I can have the 3rd class all together and then the 1st closest to the loco?

Or do I need 2 of the same 'handed' coaches?

Thanks Bee, always a wealth of info from you. I want my consist to be Loco > (Coach 1: 1st compartments>3rd compartments) > (Coach 2: 3rd compartments >brake section).

My take on that RMweb forum link is in order to make the above, I need it in this order: Loco > R4687A (LH) > R4685A (RH).

Is that your reading Bee? If so I'll go buy them :D

The consideration is - passengers must be able to get on and off. Therefore depending on the positioning of platforms with regard to the rail:

If platforms are always to the left, then both corridors cannot be to the right.

If platforms are always to the right, then both corridors cannot be to the left.

If platforms are both left and right, and there is a connection between coaches, one corridor must be on the left and the other on the right.

If platforms are both left and right, and there is no connection between coaches, one corridor must be on the left and the other on the right, and passengers must be herded in to the coach set for their destination.

Although the coaches are in BR livery, some GWR practices continued into nationalisation. My tip would be to try and find photographs of similar sized trains on BR(W) and see how the coaches are arranged.

I appreciate that it might be difficult to find the exact type of coach but as the GWR built many different designs coaches over the years that were handed I don't think the design will matter that much.