DCC clips on Points

TaffsTT

Hello. I am intending to convert my TT:120 Hornby track layout to full DCC using my NCE Powercab as the DCC controller (as I have one for my OO gauge layout) and to also save some pennies in the process. My points currently have Point clips (TT8035) fitted to them. I also intend to have droppers around the layout and utilise a bus. As I do not use clips on my OO gauge, will I have any issue with the clips on my TT:120 layout with the NCE Powercab in this dcc layout? I suspect as the frogs are different on my TT compared to my OO layout (Peco Insulfrog I believe), I have concerns with shorts, damaging the NCE Powercab, etc.

Functionally, there is no difference between your OO and TT:120 layouts. Further, leaving the point clips in place should be perfectly safe given the bus and droppers will be carrying the current, not the point clips.

Then while I’m not familiar with the Powercab, it is most unlikely that it comes without suitable overload protection that would shut it down safely should a short occur.

However, all that said, there’s a recent thread where somehow, a point clip has gone high resistance and melted the point it is fitted to, despite the presence of a bus and droppers.

Therefore I’d be removing the clips once your bus is operational. They do nothing with the bus operational but might be a source of failure.