New Semaphore Signals and BR blue Battle of Britain

andys steam dayz

Well I will second the signals, the current ones date from 1978 when Hornby introduced them, they are more 7mm scale thann 4mm scale alas. They need replacing for sure, the Tri-ang ones they replaced including the lovely Tri-ang R.140 signal gantry are

closer to scale and a return would be most welcome. The gantry's make silly money on a certain online auction site so there is demand for them.

Blue 'Battle of Britain'?? No, please not. The only part of these locomotives that was ever painted blue was the nameplate. If you want a blue 'spamcan' you will have to wait until Hornby brings out a air-smoothed Merchant Navy.

Signals are a special

part of the railway scene, with the lovely Skaledale buildings and the detailed model trains, the signals in the current range do not really do it justice. They are over scale, and bear little resemblance to any signals I have ever seen. I won some Trix signals

in an auction the other day. These are much neare to scale and include a light pipe in the post, that takes light from a bulb in the base to the lamp behind the spectacle glass. Now that Trix is long defunct perhaps Hornby might consider adopting this system

in some new ones?

It's an idea LC&DR and with LED technology lighted oil lamps for the signals would be possible. The Tri-ang ones would be good too, the R.140 signal gantry was a nice item and much closer to scale as was the R.43H Single Home signal, R.42D Single Distant

Signal, R.142H Junction Home signal and R.142D Junction Distant signal would be most welcome. I refer to the Tri-ang plastic ones not the early metal versions and I know the R.142 number was reused by Hornby for it's 1978-current overscale offerings.

The

current offerings are almost 7mm scale, perhaps Hornby was thinking about O gauge at the time in 1978 when they came out, who knows. Certainly as you rightly point out LC&DR they don't do the range justice.

Other nice returns would be the Tri-ang R.145

Modern Signal box based on LMS and BR pattern boxes, R.573/573M colour light signal gantry, and R.405/M 2 aspect colour light signal to replace the horrible overscale 1970's Hornby offering that has been with us many years.

Hornby have the moulds so

what's stopping them?

I too would like to see some decent semaphors, but what type? to produce one for each of the big four would be a massive undertaking. A generic tubular post upper quadrant might do for the LMS/LNER and any less fussy SR enthusiast but obviously not the

GWR with its lower quadrant signals.

SOT
The R145 was certainly the most realistic and well proportioned plastic signalbox made by Rovex and its successors. I do rather like the old metal post Tri-ang signals and although these and the plastic replacements were still over-scale they looked

in proportion. I have a number of the R140 gantries, however the plastic used was far too brittle and most suffer from damage to the plug ends.

The recent plastic signals are grossly overscale.

81F

The ideal signal for Hornby would be

the round post upper quadrant. Accurate signals for GWR, SR and LNER are already available as simple kits from Ratio. The tubular post was officially adopted by BR as a standard (although most regions found good excuses to perpetuate pre-nationalisation designs)

and did appear on all regions eventually.

Some more realistic colour light signals (three aspect) are urgently needed as well.

Time for the old R.145 signal box and the old Tri-ang plastic signals to make a comeback in the Railroad range me thinks. I agree about the plastic used on the R.140 but they were pretty strong when new, perhaps the plastic Hornby uses today will be better?

It would give us a decent if not totally to scale semaphore gantry.

I agree a generic round post upper quadrant signal would be the best option for the main range, with simple changes of arms and with or without finial for different regions.

From

this a range of GWR 1930's searchlight colour lights could be make too using the round post and finial as basis for them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
For £7-50p I have bought an LSWR lattice post upper quadrant signal kit from MSE and cannot wait to make it up. MSE do spare arms, dolls , posts, finials, maintenance platforms, ladders, gantries, lamps, balance weights etc. This enables you to make up

any configuration of signals that you wish. All of the "Big Four" characteristic signals are available upper and lower quadrant, somersault and three position. If you read books like "British Railway Signalling" by Kitchenside and Williams (Published by Ian

Allan) you will learn how to signal your railway correctly. It is a complex and quite fascinating subject and well worth your attention.

Archived