Interior detail on aircraft

oldmodeller

Some where on this site i noticed a discussion thread about the amount of interior detail provided on kits which cannot be seen on the build completion especially in the larger scales.

Just a suggestion, could airfix not mould fuselage halves, engine nacelles or any other area that contains detail in clear plastic?

This is not a new idea as they did it with the SRN4 hovercraft kit in the 70's. Also check out the Revell phantom mustang and Tamiya Bell x-15

Clear parts could then be overpainted masking off the areas needed to show the detail.

Only other solution is to physically cut out the areas where you wish to show off the detail inside

• Like 1

That’s a reasonable idea, and exists already in a minor way with h canopies and nose cones (which have windows). 
I remember some years ago, before the so-called upgrade of this site by Airfix, one of the contributors posted an excellent article showing how he had built a Shackleton with a removable part of the fuselage to show the interior detailed. I believe he also did it for an Airfix Wellington- both intricate and excellent in equal measure. 
I haven’t looked but I’m guessing the photos have been lost to this site. 

I went the complete opposite way when I converted an airfix 1/48 Merlin to a royal navy HMA1 There was so much interior detail (some of it beyond my modelling capabilities) that I closed everything up and just concentrated on getting the externals right.

Mind you the merlin seats came in handy to convert a Hasegawa sea king to a sea king commando