Duchess of Sutherland

I found a wrecked Hornby Duchess of Sutherland in LMS maroon at a train fair, bought it for a tenner and repaired it. The smoke deflectors were missing. On investigation it seems that this loco ran with double chimney and smoke deflectors and in maroon livery, as modelled,  only from mid to late  late 1945(when the deflectors were first fitted)  to mid 1946 (when it was repainted black). This seems a very narrow time window for any model and I wonder if I have misunderstood what I think I have read? Any clarification would be much appreciated. 

• Like 1

As with many preserved / heritage locomotives, they've got 2 lives:

1. Those in normal operation from fabrication through to possible cutting up.
  2. Those after preservation.

There may have been a limited time it ran without blinkers in 'normal use', perhaps with single chimney initially, then double - several variables throughout the class.

After preservation, 6233 DoS was preserved and fully operational at the Bressingham Steam Gardens, near Diss in Norfolk.  I personally visited on several occasions and rode in her cab - and definitely without blinkers.

Blinkers have been added subsequent to her change of ownership, refurbishment and general operation, for the many practical bonuses of 'lifting the smoke' out of the way.

Personally, I much preferred her without blinkers.  Elegant nevertheless with or without.

Al.

Thanks, many actually don't agree.  I don't dislike her with blinkers, but much preferred her without them - some say the 'steam chests' (??) above the cylinders are too bulbous on the Coronations ... each to his/her ...

(I still remember those rides now, DoS blasting the branches of the trees apart - perhaps deliberately?  !! 😉)

Al.