Removing the coal

halesowenmum

Hi
My son has the Class A4 LNER Mallard 4903.
We've watched videos showing people easily and simply removing the coal bit so that they can go in and fill up their live steam containers.
The pulling up place on the 'coal' if we try and do it, is

so firmly attached we cannot get it to lift off. If you shoved a very very very thin something down there to prise it up you'd damage the train - any ideas how we get this off?!!
Thank you.

Hi halesowenmum,

The R number you have quoted is not one allocated to a Hornby Live Steam locomotive, most of the Live Steam Locomotives Started with a R followed by 2, such as R2367 for the LNER Silver Link.

Can you check the number you

have given is correct.

If the version you have is not a Live Steam Locomotive then you cannot remove the coal.

Hi halesowenmum,

LNER A4 4903 was named Peregrine and later renamed Lord Faringdon in 1948. It was never named Mullard which was given a LNER number 4468.

I need more information to help you:

1. On the back of the box the locomotive

came in there should be a date code such as 24/04 2. next to this number is a barcode lable. the barcode lable will have a number starting with R and four numeric digits and Live Steam Locomotive Peregrine or another A4 name.
3. I assume this loco has been

bought as a seconhand or used item, probably on Ebay. Can you confirm this.

If this is a Live Steam Locomotive, then I have a couple of ideas why you cannot remove the coal easily. Most of the Live Steam Locomotives were made by Hornby during 2004 and

the date code will confirm this.

I need the above information before I can make any suggestions

Hi halesowenmum,

There is a raised ledge at the back of the coal. Grip this with your finger nails and raise it slightly, while moving it toward the back of the tender. This will release it from the boiler overflow, You need to move it about 1/8",

then contine lifting it. There is a small protrusion on the front of the coal, so you need to continue moving it back while lifting it.

To replace it reverse the proceedure.

I hope this helps.

Archived