My live steam SR Schools running

Go_West

Hello Brightstar,

Have you had a quote from Goldenarrow?. The DJH site you mentioned before have a Duchess, their K70, for £135. But It's difficult assess the quality of their product from their web site. I don't live too far from their office so

when I get the time I might pop up and have a look at their displays if they have any.

Hi Eric001,

I have had e-mail conversations with DJH and they advise me that they do not think their kits would be suitable. I have also contact Adrian at the OO Live Steam Club and he is also doubtful, as he thinks the white metal would not stand

the heat of ther superheater..

Goldenarrow bodies cost between £40-£60. The Duke of Gloucester, Class 8, 4-6-2 cost £55.

Are the resin bodies by that maker made of a heat resisitant resin? If not you may find it turns into a soggy expensive mess.

I am looking at making a heat resistant resin rebuilt W1 "Super A4" body and rear pony truck to fit a standard Hornby A4

Chassis myself to make my one off loco. Just trying to find a working donor live steam A4 to play with and use as a basis for my model, but they are going for silly money on a certain online auction site. The cad work is being done by a friend for me as it's

a long time since I used a certain well used cad package. A suitable heat resistant resin has been found, and a friend who makes patterns will be making a pattern for me from the CAD drawings for making the body mould.

Sourcing the rear pony truck has

proved problematical as well but working on it.

Will do a short vid of the beasty running for your delight, when I get it done, might be two years!

Hello Brightstar,
The melting point of white metal depends on the lead/tin make up and any other additives. If you search it on the net and use the lowest spec material I find 185 degrees C.
Some time ago, on the old forum, someone said these loco's

work at 2 bar (guage). Looking at the steam tables, this gives a working steam temperature of around 135 degrees C.
However, that does not account for the temperature of the super heater. Although, with some heat insulation on the inside of the white metal

body, it could work.

I think DJH would be bound to reply to you as they did. They wouldn't want their product to be used any other way than their design intent and fail. Bad publicity and all that.
It's all about experimentation, I'm afraid, until

a good solution is found.

Archived