Recent DCC convert but......

Alan564017

got me an elite, love it. but....... I have to rotate the control knob a quite a number of times to get the loco's to a decent speed (you can see the wedges appear on the display) is this normal ? do I have to around with acceleration rates?, the opposite slowing down. Also, nearly all of my loco's making a 'grind sound' when moving (very) slowly, this does not sound right, any thoughts?

The rotary control do require quite a few turns to reach top speed. These controls are "speed sensitive" to some extent. If you move them very slowly it takes 2 "clicks" or "notches" to get an increase of 1 segment on the display but if you move them quickly less "clicks" are needed to get the same speed shown on the display. I tend to rest one finger on the rim of the control knob and "whiz" it round to get the speed up. The grinding noise seems to be worse on certain models (the Pendolino is absolutely awful on DCC at low speed) and depends on what make of decoder is fitted, cheaper decoders are usually the culprits. Rog :-)
Rog :-)

Archived