issues with Henry side rod screw

Moomintroll

Hi,

I have 2 Heney's (one bought as spares but turn out only issue was short on tender coupler) and both suffer the same problem and I'm wondering if anyone else has experenced this. On both my Henery'a the screw on the middle wheel (left) which

holds the side rods (or whatever they are called) keeps coming loose and eventually gets so loose it catches, stalling the wheels and will ultimatly fall out if not fixed. Was going to replace the whole side rods but seems strange 2 models have exactly the

same problem and I'm wondering if it's a design 'feature'

th1nks
Muumi

You could apply a tiny drop of Threadlock on the screw to stop it unwinding.

http://cpc.farnell.com/everbuild/threadlock10/threadlock-gp-blue-10g/dp/SA02055

This version can be used where the thread is oil contaminated. Beware only apply

a smidgin to the first threads of the screw. I usually use a sewing needle and remove any excess before tightening the screw, you do not want any threadlock on the fitting to bind it.

Alternatively use the needle to apply a smidgin to the inside threads

of the fitting you are inserting the screw into. All you are trying to do is lock the screw to stop it unscrewing.

I also apply the threadlock, tighten the screw, remove the screw,remove any excess from the fitting, then reassemble. This threadlock

is thixothropic and takes a while to set, so you have plenty of time work before it starts setting.

I agree about the use of threadlock, Brightstar has it use spot on, I would add to this clean the inside of the shaft with a small piece of cotton rag wound to a point with ipa on it to remove as much grease as possible, it will give threadlock a better

chance of bonding to the worm threads. Threadlock will form a fine gasket on the threads in the shaft where the screw fits. It sounds like the threads of the coupling rod pin shaft are worn a little.

The screws have a tendancy to work loose with heavy

usage at constant high speeds as well causing wear and tear, the previous owners may have been running the locos fast over a long period of time.

Hi Moomintroll,

You should be able to remove the screws that are fixed with threadlock. The one suggested in my posting allows you to manipulate the screw while it is setting and you can remove the screw after the threadlock has set. However, you

will need to clean off the old threadlock once it has set and reapply it before you reinsert the screw.

Check the details of any particular threadlock befor you purchase to make sure the screw can be removed afer the threadlock has set. It is normal

to be able to remove the screw after using most threadlock fluid/paste.

The idea of using threadlock is to prevent the screw from coming loose through mechanical action, vibration etc. It acts like a locking not, by locking the screw in place.

They

can also be used as a gasket repair/replacement fluid/paste.

Archived