A couple of questions

bobes78

Hello all,

I have just purchased a second hand Mallard live steam set. I have a couple of questions. How often and how much oil do you add? Secondly, do you run you locos until the boiler runs dry, or do you leave them with water in the boiler until

the next run?

Many thanks

bobes78 said:

Hello all,

I have just purchased a second hand Mallard live steam set. I have a couple of questions. How often and how much oil do you add? Secondly, do you run you locos until the boiler runs dry, or do you leave them

with water in the boiler until the next run?

Many thanks

In terms of oil, its recommended to put 0.5ml per 3-4 runs, its not the end of the world if you put too much in, but it causes a bit of a mess. However, don't forget to put it in as it will damage the loco.

You don't have to run the boiler dry before

stopping, but if you are going to stop for a long period of time, like overnight, its best to take any excess water from the boiler using the syringe and the metal tip. Make sure the boiler has cooled down otherwise you may still have some steam pressure left

in the boiler.

Hope this helps.

M4LL4RD_Live

That's brilliant. Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately I don't have the needle that comes with the 25ml syringe to add the water (I do have the syringe and needle to add the oil). Does anyone know where I could get a needle to fit this syringe - I have

looked on eBay but can't find any.

Many thanks

Archived