Live Steam Problems

Razer126

Hello fello steamers! It has been a tough time recently for people trying to find any live steam locomotives as the forum has been down and the production was prohibited a while back. Well about a month ago now, i managed to get my hands on a Mallard set. I was very pleased and did everything in the instructions to get it going. I bought it second hand on ebay and the seller claimed it had only been used twice, and everything else in the box including the controllers where un-opened as he had another set. However, when everything was turned on, no light was to be seen on the locomotive. I checked all the connections, re-read the instructions and everything appeared to be fine. I then felt the loco and it was hot, as it should be. All of a sudden the GREEN light came on and steam started coming out. Now whenever i turn it on, the green light comes on straight away and i can not get it to go red, i have got the loco moving but without the red light indicating the valve is shut it just cant build up enough pressure to even run for a minute, the seller will not accept a return. is there anything i can do? please advise!

Hi Razer126 When steam is coming out ouf your Mallard, have to tried to simply hold the directional control over (either way) for a good few seconds. You should be able the hear the control valve rotating within the loco, the light should come on and the whistle sound. The Live Steam service department at Hornby are EXCEPTIONALLY good at repairs usually effecting a turn around within 48 hours. All the best

Hi, thank you for your response, yes i have tried that, the light goes off, the whistle sounds and then the light comes on. Ocationally when i do this Both lights do infact come on, but never just the red. Regarding sending it to Hornby, what sort of price would that be as i would really like to get it running properly. </div>

I would agree with Peter, Hornby Live Steam Service Department do an exceptional job - and at a pretty reasonable charge too. Last one I sent back which had stopped working required quite a lot of work, and the bill came to less than £40, which is far less than I could have sourced the parts for, even if I could have fixed it myself!

If I had a pound for every time I've heard this story at the OO Live Steam Roadshow. So many purchasers have run LS just a couple of times and then put it away having found it too hard to control. Worse, if the loco took a tumble on its first steaming (who's going to tell you that on ebay?) something could easily have got out of adjustment. The best ones to buy are those you can be sure are unused or those with a lot of use where the seller can vouch for the fact that it is running well. All is not lost though; as peterdivergbr says Hornby's sevice department is exceptional and very resonably priced. When you've got the loco back run it for the first few hours on a rolling road (or a cobbled one with tender wheels on a power track and driving wheels hanging loose). Slow, fast, backwards, forwards, again and again until you've got the hang of it. Persist and the pleasure is enormous.
A J Campbell

Hi, You should report the seller to ebay for supplying faulty goods and enter the refund proceedure. I assume you paid by paypal, you can contact them to pursue a refund for faulty goods. You should also contact the seller and advise him that you will pursue him in the small claims court if he fails to refund the purchase price and collect the faulty goods. Make sure that you have the cleared funds in your bank before you release the goods.

Hi Brightstar, thanks for your advice and the link, i have looked into it and concidered it. But i think i would prefer to keep the engine and get it repaired, to me it is his loss for loosing such a magnificent thing when it can be fixed. thank you anyway! i will still report him for supplying faulty goods but will not go to paypal for a refund as that would involve sending it back . </div>

Hi Razer126 I have just purchased a new A4 Silver Link (live steam) from LD Discounts for £184.00 (this should arrive tomorrow). . Unfortuately, the last one. I also purchased a transformer and controller fro Rails of Shefield for £110.00; they are stil showing stock on this item. I note that 2K Technology also have a A4 Golden Fleece for £300.00 and a A£ Double tender Flying Scotsman for £330.00. </div>

</div>

I definitely agree about the helpfullness of hornby - my controller stopped working after a few steamings and despite it being beyond the guarantee in the back of the instruction booklet, they sent me a replacement. My greatest regret is that I never got a chance to thank the member of staff who helped me.

Hello again Razer126. You are right to keep your Mallard but before you send it back to Hornby do follow my rolling road tip Actually it is not a tip, it is a MUST DO. OO Live Steam is a can of worms but once mastered will give enormous pleasure. To condemn something as faulty is too simplistic because every loco varies in performance and the green/red lights and whistle are just guides and do not always work as they did when new. I repeat my advice to anyone starting in Live Steam; buy either "new and unused" or "guranteed working" from someone who is able to run it knows what they are talking about. Avoid like the plague any used item that "looks new and hardly used" or "looks new but I've not been able to test it". Even if you buy "New" or "Never used" you should know that EVERY A4 was built in 2004, even the last ones still on dealers' shelves and are BOUND to be stiff when first run. Hence the advice to run the first few hours on a rolling road until you can start the loco slowly and smoothly. Ignore at your peril.
A J Campbell

Hi razer126 Your red/green light problem may just be the switch wiper which runs on the small printed board it might be a loose fixings or just that the bronze wiper wants resetting a simple job if you feel like having a go. if you put the engine on the track with out its top on and with out waiting for it to get hot or steam up by moving the lever on the control box watch the small wiper travel up and down the PCB with the wiper as far forward as it will go just before moving back is green light with steam full open if no green light try pressing the wiper into contact with the PCB with a small screw driver and the light should come on. then try the red light this is at the other end of the PCB and by moving the lever on the control box watch the wiper run to the other end of the PCB and as before stop the red light will then be on if not press the contact down on to the printed board the light should come on if not check all wire to and from the PCB lighting unit at the cab end and its plug and socket.

Take the top off your engine and with out letting it get hot or steaming up move the lever on the controler and hold it in full left postion and watch the small wiper travel up and down the PCB when the wiper gets to the end towards the front of the engine this is the full open stean valve postion and the GREEN light should be on now let it travel back to the cab end and stop this is RED light and valve shut postion if no RED light check the 2 screws holding the PCB are tight then try pressing the contact onto the PCB with a small screw driver and see if the light comes ON try this at both ends of the contacts travel and by pressing should get the lights to work which then means you will have to reset this contact. If still no lights check the wires running back to the cab end that they are good and the small plug and socket.. then check the bulbs are sound and have no broken wires. Have typed this twice as it did not seem to come up ? PS. do a copy and paste into word for future Ref.

I have a similar problem, where my green light is fine, but the red light never seems to come on. However, the loco works fine. When I bring the loco to a halt for filling up with water, or just stopping, I keep flicking the controller in reverse until

the green light goes off, which is when I assume the red light should be on. Then, I when I start up, the light is usually off, and turns green when the loco comes up to steam. Then everything proceeds normally. Thanks for the excellent tips gowest, I will

try to find the contact problem to make my red light work again.

My new A4 Silver Link arrived this afternoon (I think the couriers ran out of time on Friday. They say they carded the house when they tried to deliver, but there was no card and my mother was at home all day. It was just an excuse).

I plan to give

it a run tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes.

Dear Razer, I have had a bit of experience with refunds at ebay, and I would like to point out that you don't have to send your item back. Often the seller will agree to a partial refund, say the cost of a repair, or some amount that the seller gives as

a matter of business policy, say 25% of the selling price. I have found this useful on a couple of occasions with different vendors. You have to be nice to the vendor, and not do a lot of stamping around in anger, of course....

Razer126 said:Hi Brightstar,

thanks for your advice and the link, i have looked into it and concidered it. But i think i would prefer to keep the engine and get it repaired, to me it is his loss for loosing such a magnificent thing when it can be fixed. thank you anyway! i will still

report him for supplying faulty goods but will not go to paypal for a refund as that would involve sending it back . Brightstar said: Razer126 You need to raise any dispute with e-bay within 45 days of receiving the goods

• 3 weeks later...

Archived