009 locos and rolling stock.

engine driver 125

HI,
I have recently started the conversion of an old die-cast thomas 'Peter Sam' narrow gauge loco which is loosely based on the Kerr Stuart design that operated on the Sittingbourne and Kemley line. I will build a small (approx. 1.5m) line running

parallel with my standard guage main line. I have changed the face for a smokebox door and painted and detailed certain parts I now need to put it on the chassis that i sourced brand new for only £10 from Japan. Although this is much simpler (and cheaper)

than building a kit built loco it is not a quick job. As Hornby now own Arnold do you think they should introduce a range of british outline 009 locos and rolling stock utilising arnold chassis etc? I know their is not strong demand for 009 locos at present

but I think this is because they are only avliable as kits would you buy RTR locos if they were avaliable?

I will keep you posted with the updates of my project.

Personally I'd love to see it yeah, although I guess there must be some question about the commercial viability, or else someone would be doing it already.

I might question the use of Arnold (foreign) chassis, will they be realistic for British

models? I expect that narrow gauge will appeal more to the 'modeller' than those who just want a train set so this might be an issue.

I've seen people talking about this plenty before though, so hopefully it's just a matter of time before one of the

manufacturers brings out an RTR 009 loco or two. :)

Yes, then we can all bicker about exactly what steam locomotive and rolling stock we want modelled, not to mention the inaccuracies involved in gauges, a 9mm gauge in 4mm/' representing 2'3".

Vale of Reidol 1'11.5"
Ffestiniog 1'11.5"
L&B

1'11.625" or is it 1'11.5" (I see references to both)
Corris 2'3"
Talylln 2'3"
Welshpool and Llanfair 2'6"

Don't mind me I'm just tired and grumpy. I'd love to see Yeo Exe and Taw and Lyn in 009. A small set of dual gauge trackwork would be

nice too.

I agree, now that Hornby have an interest in firms who make N & OO9 they really ought to look seriously at British outline narrow gauge. This is the last black hole in the ready to run British model railway hobby. The Kerr Stuart loco that enginedriver125

is building and the very similar Baqnall saddle tank is a very good example of a universal steam outline locomotive and in truth these were used extensively by industrial concerns and contractors as well as establised light railways. Some examples included

the British Insulated Callendar Cables Ltd's works at Erith in Kent, Edward Lloyds Ltd. paper mill Sittingbourne, the Royal Air Force, the Corris Railway, Central London Railway, and many others. This would make a very useful first stab at this subject.

If Hornby were to make their caledonian pug in N it would make a fairly passable Quarry Hunslet - I've seen a 00 version made into a passable 0 16.5 model.

I realise that to be accurate many narrow gauge prototypes had outside framed chassis but

I think this would not bother too mant people.

Archived