Flying Scotsman problem

bobes78

Hello everyone,

I have just purchased eased an unused live steam Flying Scotsman. It steams up and runs perfectly, however it is not releasing excess steam from the release valves on the top of the engine. Instead it vents excess steam through the bottom of the engine. This causes the engine to slow as it releases excess steam. Does anyone know how I can fix the top sticky valve - I think I read you can spray a bit of WD40 down into the valve. Will this work?

many thanks and Happy New Year

Hi bobes 78

it sound like a common problem and it has been posted before the steam is I think coming from the safety valve but as it cannot get out through the 2 brass valves on the body it's blowing downward and out of the sides of the body.

To correct this remove the body and check the rubber seal which sits on top of the valve check it is not deformed or damaged then check the valve is upright and not leaning forwards or backwards left or right. Then check the safety valve top brass cover this has a small screw holding it in place and should be on the left hand side as viewed from the cab which will put the 2 small holes in the top in the correct place directly below the 2 brass valves fitted in the body.

Do not play with the setting screw in side the valve but if you have a sticking valve then WD40 sprayed down the small holes in the set screw then removing the small cheese head screw from the top cover and screw this in the hole in the top of the main valve stem and using a pair of long nose pliers gently lift the valve off its seat about 1/2 a milimeter 2 or 3 times.

then replace the top brass cover making sure the small screw is on the left as I said before and test run on the track with out the body on checking the steam is comming from the 2 small holes in the valve cover if all is working ok then fit the rubber gasket and refit the body checking that the brass valves in the body are clear and not bloked test run again hopefully steam now blasts from the small valves on the body.

Note.

When in steam and at slow speed when the safety valve lifts the engines speed will slow down as the sudden loss of high pressure will have an effect on what is being delivered to the Pistons.

happy steaming

Hello Gowest,

I took the locomotive cover off today and applied WD40 to the two steam release valve openings as you instructed. Nothing was bent. I then steamed the locomotive and both top gas release valves started working perfectly. Thank you for the advice. The locomotive is now running beautifully!

all the best

bobes78

Archived