Construction Instructions

Christopher Wheeler

The early models (those two bob jobs in plastic bags), had instructions and a write-up on the aircraft, printed on the reverse of the enclosing label. What I remember most about those instructions, was that rather than just a number, each part had a name, such as "oil cooler" "bomb sight", "Exhaust ring" or some such. Sounds simple, but I learned an awful lot about aeroplanes and their workings from those simple descriptions. I know that all these things have to be multi-lingual nowadays and therefore expensive to replicate such descriptions, but I can't help thinking that Airfix are missing an educational element here.

I sometimes find that there is limited information on which parts to use for different variants. I recently completed the 1:72 scale, fabric wing, hurricane and there were 2 canopy front sections but no info as to which to use. The info for the rudder and the lower, rear fuselage was clear which to use but not what that part of fuselage is called. There 2 aerial masts which to use was not an option. A site like this http://www.ram-home.com/ram-old/hurricane-2c-cutaway.html looks like it could useful.

Archived