American Airfix builder

willfrey

I am 50, started building Monogram kits and didnt build my first Airfix kit until later.  My first Airfix kit was the MPC import B-29. I still have it.  I am a member of Craig Hewitt IPMS chapter here in Phoenix. I recently won an  Airfix A-26 kit, this one has been around awhile, it is still a fine kit after all these years.

I have a habit of starting several kits at once, and then it's a race to get one done first.

I am currently working on 5 airfix kits...........Avro Lancaster, Bristol Blenhiam,  Do 17 and two others. The fit on these kits is fantasic. I would  dare Airfix to make us a new B-52 kit in 1/72. I would have it built in one week!

Hallo Airfix building American Cousin. You are a younster at 50. I`m 56. For me it was Airfix, Revell and Frog. Mostly Airfix. I`m sure I built their entire Second Worl War collection. I`m a member of IPMS Avon (that`s Bristol, UK). Check out our website at www.ipmsavon.org.uk

My mainstay are Wingnuts Wings kits, but I`ve also recently rediscovered Airfix. Their new stuff is quality.

I too have several kits on the go at any one time. Currently 10, 2 of them Airfix; 1/48 Spitfire I and 1/72 Blenheim Mk I. I also have their 1/48 Hurrican and 1/72 Dornier 17z, not built yet.

A 1/72 B52! That would be large.  I believe they call it the BUFF don`t they?  Big, Ugly, Fat, Fu.........!

My two biggest kits* I ever built were the 1/72 Heller Boeing 707-320, painted in that classic BOAC colour scheme, and the 1/72 Monogram B36 'Peacemaker'. Loved building them, but they both had problems with wing support- they both kept developing cracks at the wing roots. If I built them now, I would definitely re-inforce the wing/ fuselage join. 

...Now I'm married and have kids- I've got no room...

*The biggest thing I ever scratchbuilt was HMS Intrepid (L11) in 1/72- nearly 7 foot long. 

Archived