Should we have a Airfix Forum "Battle of Britain" Community Build?

Gadfly

Hi,

Do you think a "Battle of Britain" community build is a workable idea here on the Airfix Forum?

Basically members build a 'BoB' themed model post up their build progress here on the Forum and when the model is finished post up a few images of the completed build.

The build would be limited to only Airfix kits.

With the BoB 75th anniversary and a host of new BoB themed releases from Airfix plus an extensive 'back catalogue' of kits suitable the Battle of Britian seems a good choice for what could be the inaugural community build here on the Airfix forum.

Thoughts and comments below...

Cheers

GF

Hi ,

Thanks for the support and feedback.

PMM yep there are plenty of BoB themed kits to get stuck into either new releases or older ones. So no lack of choice.

Admin, there is heaps you could do to help that doesnt involve giving away kits to folk. Here is a list of things your support would be appreciated with thats low cost to Airfix.

1. Set up a Community Build Sub forum for any participants to post in keeping the community build posts seperate from the normal forum traffic.

2. Add the BoB community build thread to the 'top posts in our forum' banner on the main web page this will drive click throughs and hopefully participation.

3. Promote the Community build on your FB and Twitter feeds to drive folk to look and hopefully participate.

Bruce.. I hear and understand you but hey lets deliver some great forum content of models actually getting built and then sort out the Moderation issues.  "Sort of build it once they've come". A forum with good content and less than ideal forum tools is preferable to lots of forum tools but little in the way of great content.

Cheers

GF

• 2 weeks later...

I have built a little airfield using the Aifix Control tower, RAF/USAF ground crew, support vehicles, AA gun and tractor  and two Spitfires and a Hurricane and I found the Italeri Nissen huts very useable for the hospital and barracks as well as their lookout tower and sentry box; Airfix could eaily produce similar to go with their range of diorama buildings.  All in all I am pleased with my tribute to the "Few" and a Forum sounds like a great idea.

Hi,

Sorry for being a bit remiss and not posting up earlier..

Looks like preperations are underway all over the place with Airfix kits ready for the first Airfix Forum Community build. Admin has a kit ready also... Great stuff..

OK as I suggested the Community Build. I'll take the oppertunity to set down some guide lines for anyone not used to Model Forum Group Builds.  The aim here is to have a good time enjoy taking part and get some nice builds posted up and have fun.

The subject is the Battle of Britian so you can build any AIRFIX kit of a subject that is appropriate for the Battle of Britian (BoB).

To make things simple for folk trying out group builds for the first time its ok to build a suitable kit of a BoB subject out of the box with the markings provided even if the markings are not quite correct for the BoB.

This means if you're wanting to build say a starter kit 1/72 Spitfire1a it comes with Markings for 92 Sqn in December 1940 which is after the BoB had concluded. Its ok to build this kit and use the markings provided. 

It's not ok to build a Spitfire XIX or Spitfire IX as these marques of Spitfire entered service AFTER the BoB had concluded. 

The Community Build Starts On the 1st of August 2015 and concludes on the 31st of October 2015. in this time period you have to complete your model or Models if you build more than 1. 

To take part you need to sign up as a member of the Airfix Forum then head over to the Aircraft Subforum and start a thread on your build.

When you start a thread please try to set the title out like this..

"BoB CB Gadflys Spitfire Mk1a 1/72"

Obviously you'll substitute your Forum name and subject for the example ones... But adding the BoB CB will help everyone understand the Community builds from the regular posts. Also add the scale of the kit it's nice to know. 

You need to post up a minimum of 3 images during your build.. A Starting image so we can all see what your building, An inprogress shot at some point in the build and a shot of the completed model.  More photos are fine 3 is the minimum. 

If your an more experienced modeller you might want to try something different from the norm. Say A Eurofighter Typhoon in Commerative BoB markings?? This is ok as are builds of non aircraft subjects as long as there is a relation to the BoB in some way and the base kit is AIRFIX. Aftermarket Decals and other bits are fine..

Ok hopefully that is all easy to follow. 

Cheers

GF

Archived