Airfix Builds - Sherman Crab, King Tiger & Tiger 1

Here are a few of my Airfix buikds.

/media/tinymce_upload/3f20dd292502e930884d78dc385d9d75.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/c6101eca4783aab58d3d3635ff1d8179.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/4040953f82c7607b856176d1a219096e.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/3775ca493e02b0c39648caef5814ba7c.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/8fa07d7dad0ef0b6e729ebf42e3003cb.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/ee07cd50475f2103c14bc3695651413f.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/21e9e19677498ef1d5814bdf37cbdc44.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hopefully 'Airfix Battles' will kick start interest in WW2 armour. For a Normandy game (and Eastern front)  the Stug is essential as it was the most common type in the front line along with the Pz4. I am hoping to get back to armoured wargames this year so will be looking at some of these. New tools would be greatly appreciated (the Cromwell is very nice and could do with stable mates to the same standard).

• 4 months later...

I've just been wondering what happened to the recently re-tooled Tiger 1, I noticed its not available in the current catalogue. A lot of kits seem to come and go quickly these days, is there any financial benefit to Airfix from this?  As a builder of kits since the 1960's I was always used to the same models being available for years on end, is there any evidence that constant swapping and changing produces better sales in the long term?

I've just been wondering what happened to the recently re-tooled Tiger 1, I noticed its not available in the current catalogue. A lot of kits seem to come and go quickly these days, is there any financial benefit to Airfix from this?  As a builder of kits since the 1960's I was always used to the same models being available for years on end, is there any evidence that constant swapping and changing produces better sales in the long term?

The Tiger 1 has been out of production for some time. It hasn't been updated since it was first released in the 1960's. The King Tiger was a new kit. I assume that Airfix produced enough in the initial production run to cover the development costs and will have another production run when they think there is sufficient demand. The problem with Airfix's small scale tanks is that, apart from the Cromwell and King Tiger, the moulds are 40-50+ years old, they are quite crude by todays standards  and were never very accurate to begin with (the Tiger was, unfairly, voted the worst Airfix kit of all time). Finally they are 1:76 where most kit manufacturers have gone with 1:72.

I think I made a mistake with the Tiger 1! On checking my old catalogues the last release from a couple of years ago does seem to have been the same old kit in a shiny new box. I never actually bought this kit but I could have swore that I saw an article or two in the modelling press that claimed this was a new tool; it must have been a senior moment. Even so, like many recent re-releases, the kit seemed to come and go in a very short time. 

Archived