Steam Trains

David55

I'm currently running diesels class 20 to 55 on my layout, but I would also like to add some steam.

Are there any steam trains which would have been running alongside these?

I need models which will run over crossovers and can run on 2nd

to 4th radius.

I would also like one with sound, model numbers if known.

I run a class 20 for shunting, having tried class 8 and failed on crossovers. Are there any other models that would have been used for shunting.

Your help in the

past and now is appreciated.

David

It depends on what 'era/region' you are modelling your layout.

Presumably if you have a class 55 'Deltic' then you are 'Eastern Region'?

Every one of the Hornby 'loco drive' steam 'tender engines' that I have owned since 2000, have happily

run across crossovers and a variety of track configurations, mainly due to Hornbys excellent approach to electrical pickup. ie both the loco and tender collect the current from both sides of the track. Older tender drive versions where the pickup is split

between loco and tender have proved a problem (well for me anyway).

Towards the end of the steam era, tender locos would have been seen shunting more and more as they were displaced by Diesel locomotives.

If you are running an East Coast Setup,

then you have an excellent choice of locos to choose from Hornby:

All of these would be in BR Livery with Late Crest on the Tender

A3 Pacific
A4 Pacific
Peppercorn A1 Pacific (hornby makes Tornado, but you could repaint the loco into

late BR Livery)
B1 4-6-0
B17 4-6-0

These are just a few, but there are quite a few more available ready to run

These are just a few of them.

I have personally found the latest Hornby locos, run more smootly and stall on pointwork

far less than the 'firm that shall not be named'.

Forgot to mention, the Railroad 9F, would fit in there aswell.

David,

Hi, I run blue diesels on my layout but also special steam trains. Great fun.

For the specials I use Evening Star, Flying Scotsman, Mallard, LMS Coronation Class, Merchant Navy / BoB, and King Arthur. Could also use the GWR King, Princess

Elizabeth, B17, Black 5, 2-6-4T etc. Don't forget to add a fire tender near a siding on your layout to fill up with water and the service coach which is usually behind the steam loco & a different colour (maroon etc.). Some specials also have a diesel train

at the rear as back up in case of failure of the stream train.

Tornado would be a good loco for modern layouts but use the ones you like - it's your layout.

For shunting good locos might be privately owned or BR classes 03, 08/09, 20, 24 (made

by others?), 25, 29, 31 etc. but also classes 33, 35, 37, 40 & 47. During the 1970s and early 1980s I have seen, in the North West, all of the above carry out shunting operations except the classes 29 & 35. The larger locomotives would shunt larger wagons/trains

or block trains or empty coaching stock.

My Class 08 0-6-0 shunts wagons and coaches happily. However, crossovers can cause problems with some couplings, wagon overhang or longer coaches such as the BR Mark 3 type. I try to use a short straight in the

crossover which helps but does widen the 'six foot' - that is the distance between running tracks locally. You might wish to check the height of your couplings and that all the couplings are fixed correctly.

I hope you find this helpful.

Thanks for that.

I havent a clue about what era what trains ran when or where, however I bought all my diesels in blue livery with yellow ends.

I have since bought the illustrious because I wanted something with sound and also a rake of 8

megafret stobart wagons for my grandson. The class 92 stobart train is also on order.

I have just purchased a jubilee steam train with sound, so my set is not realistic but I like it.

I now have 3 diesels with sound and intend another 2 steam.

Unfortunately this means changing my layout again, but as I see it, even after seven months it is still developing.

Hope to get onto scenery soon.

Thanks for your help again.

Cheers

David

Archived