Airfix Yearbook

Magazines are there to inspire the readers to build models; that can only be done by using the very best authors/modelmakers that they can find, anything else simply being filler with no real benefit.

Spot on. As I said, it's a fallacy that somehow average models inspire people - they don't. Magazines that have indifferently - or even badly - finished and poorly photographed models, merely reinoforce a lack of ambition and aspiration. Just becaue one cannot - for now - atain a standard of excellence seen in print does mean that magazines should dumb down for fear of alienating readers who may be put off by such standards - that's a race to the bottom that only encouges and empowers mediocrity. What if kit manufacturers adopted the same attitude?

This hobby has always been a learning curve. Lack of success does not mean a lack of ambition, but a lack of ambition will almost always end in a lack of success when it comes to that learning curve.

Blimey, if you know "a great many" who end up giving up the hobby out of frustration, and you're just one bloke, then the hobby must be in steep decline...

Whilst I don't have to prove anything to you, I believe you've hit the nail on the head right there.

If I could be bothered, (which I'm not), I could provide you with comparisons of numbers from the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s and today. The "great many" comes from my 45+ years, plus some extensive involvement with several after-school clubs, Uni and Polytech student clubs and Scouting.

Why on earth would someone who claims to HAVE evidence of his assertion choose NOT to share it? It's  the least rigorous argument I think I've come across on a forum. People who axially HAVE evidence USE evidence  to prove their argument. Failure to do so after claiming possession of such leads to only one possible response to their argument "noted and ignored" 

I like the new Yearbook, but I find the listings of older kits a bit disappointing.  They seem a bit disjointed somehow.  I very much like the listing to show the box art and the details.  I feel that it is the Box Art that sells these catalogue items.  Maybe, that would make the book a lot thicker?  

http://furnessmodellers.wix.com/furnessmodellers#!Club-Whilst I don't have to prove anything to you, I believe you've hit the nail on the head right there.

If I could be bothered, (which I'm not), I could provide you with comparisons of numbers from the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s and today. The "great many" comes from my 45+ years, plus some extensive involvement with several after-school clubs, Uni and Polytech student clubs and Scouting.

How did you manage to gather data during the 16 year absense from modelling between 1981 and 1997 you mention here?

furnessmodellers.wix.com/furnessmodellers#!Club-Members/cmfg/3F79651A-F62F-4943-BDB4-2BE81A6CC2DC

• 1 month later...

Archived