New loco old controllers

Markaous

Hi everyone, 

This Christmas I was lucky enough to receive a my fowler p2 4-4-0. Made I guess in 2015. DCC ready, not fitted, R3316

My question is I have read a lot about how the new controllers r8250 Don't give as much power as older models. I have heard issues about older trains and new controllers but I need help with the other way round.

I ran it on my r965 controller for a bit and went round fine, but I wonder if I'm causing any damage to it. I would hate to think I spent this money only to watch it fry on the rails in a short length of time, unlike the other engines I have had for a decade.

Please could someone help or just put my mine at rest, thanks. Also left a few more threads if your smart enough to help me out. 

Cheers 

Old and new controllers both work on 12v, so there is nothing to worry about, there.

Yes - the older controller delivers more power (amps), but that just means that it is there if needed. The loco will only 'take' what it needs, and having too much available won't hurt it.

Picture it as you wanting a sip of water, but there is a whole glassful there. You only take your sip, and that leaves the rest for later.

Archived