LNER B12 in black

81F

I am just respraying a BR blue B12 into what I hope will be matt black (you can never quite tell with Chaos black this time of year!) to recreate a wartime black version for no better reason than the Triang-Hornby version was once on my childhood wish list!

However I wonder if someone could give me some info about these locos in this livery as follows:

Hornby version I remember was 7476, but did they do ant others in wartime black with just NE on the tender. If not does anyone know of a suitable alternative number.

I've also heard that members of this class worked ambulance trains to the southwest during WW2, does anyone know which members of the class dis this alternatively is 7476 one of them.

Many thanks

Hi 81E

I can't answer any of your questions, I'm afraid. It might be worthwhile contacting the LNER Encyclopedia and also the Midland & Great Northern Joint Railway - I'll be surprised if the LNER boys can't help you.

Re the Matt black, if you're going to apply waterslide transfersyou'll get a better result if you apply them to a Gloss surface (less likelyhood of trapping air under them and silvering) and spray matt varnish.

According to the RCTS history all the class were painted unlined black during the War.

Originally numbered 1500 to 1580 by the Great Eastern, the LNER renumbered them 8500 to 8580 in 1925. There were two subsequent renumbering schemes before they passed to BR. In 1942 they were supposed to have been renumbered  7415 to 7495, but this scheme was overtaken by another in 1946.  Only the following carried their 1942 numbers.

7426, 7437, 7449, 7467, 7470, 7472, 7476, 7479, 7482, 7487, 7488, 7491

In 1946 the entire class got their old GER numbers 1500 to 1580 back. BR added 60000 of course.

The class received LNER passenger green livery from 1947.

7449, 8509, 8510, 8516, 8519, 8525, 8530, 8547 8549, 8555 & 8557 were modified to allow them to work heavy USA built air braked Ambulance trains on the Southern and Great Western in June 1944 , they were allocated to Westbury, Newbury and Templecombe, the LNER drivers, firemen and fitters lived in the ambulance trains while they were there.

Hi 81E

I can't answer any of your questions, I'm afraid. It might be worthwhile contacting the LNER Encyclopedia and also the Midland & Great Northern Joint Railway - I'll be surprised if the LNER boys can't help you.

Re the Matt black, if you're going to apply waterslide transfersyou'll get a better result if you apply them to a Gloss surface (less likelyhood of trapping air under them and silvering) and spray matt varnish.

Thanks for the advice, I havea whole sheet of HMRS pressfix LNER transfers somewhere so will probably use those rather than waterslide. However, I think the Chaos Black has dried to a nice semi matt/silk finish.

As to matt varnish, my last two models started to go grey/white, so I'm wondering how to prevent this. Thankfully the two wagons are from stone quarries so it looks a bit like stone dust! OK for wagons but not for the B12!

Archived