DCC Bus?

Bren

hiya,

just trying to get to grips with DCC and I'm confused about the need for a DCC Bus!

From reading up it seems theres 2 ways to go:

1) Either connect your wires from the controller direct to the track and the rails carry the current

to make all the track live.
OR
2)Buy 2 suitable length cables wires, attach them to the controller and feed underneath the track in a ring pattern. Then solder dropper wires from this ring Bus to the tracks every 3feet or so.

As a newby to DCC

the first option seems so much easier. My question is what are the benefits of option 2 when option 1 is easier and does the same thing.

Thanks for your help.

B

2) has many advantages. there are multiple connection points to the track so that your layout is less susceptible to poor fish plate connections. there is less voltage drop around the layout due to heavier gauge wires running under the tracks. there is

less dependence on point clips.

BUT....
my layout has been running with just a single connection for 2-3 years. the track is relatively short (20m/66'). My intention is not to run a bus per se but to have a star with multiple layout connections.

while

everything is working fine a more sophisticated solution stays lower on my priority list.

Bren,

Hi, my current OO layout does not use 'BUS' cables but it's an experiment using both DC & DCC control on different tracks. My next DCC one will use 'BUS' cables.

The BUS cables are more to ensure the DCC control signals are not lost

with poor fish-plate or track connections. On larger layouts such arrangements are usually required. On smaller layouts either method should work.

My OO layout size is 16 foot by 4 foot. On the DC circuits I have two power feeds. On the DCC circuits

I have four power feeds to ensure the trains run fine.

I hope this helps you. Have fun,

My layout is entirely DCC and although it is 12' by 4', it is built on two tables (connected by a removable cable) and a lot of the track is quite old so I have added a DCC bus using mains size wire connected to panel pins which are then soldered to a

bit of fuse wire that connects to the rails and many places around the layout. This is also good because it means if you get a reverse loop module or accessory decoders, they can be given a strong connection to the bus rather than a poor connection to the

track.

As you will see from previous comments, a DCC 'bus' is not always necessary. If you construct your lay out with a simple feed, and it works to your satisfaction, then OK. The DCC bus system will overcome prospective problems of power feed and DCC signal

interpretation , on larger, complex layouts. However, a basic layout depending on track connectors (fishplates) may develop problems in time, a hard wired busmain is unlikely to.

Archived