How is the signal sent?

FinnerZ

I have the live steam Mallard set and while I understand how the steam and elctric motor regulator works, I was wondering how the signal to open or close the regulator is sent by the controller, becuase all I see is that the voltage drops for a moment.

It this some kind of code where the time of power drop is a message to the regulator?

[reply]FinnerZ

Hi and wecome to the world of live steam I will try to explain what happens when the regulator is use on the controler here goes...........
As you have already noticed the volts drop from 16 volts to 8 volts on the controlers volt

meter.
On the engine is the control PCB which has a very small relay this relay is controled by a simple bit of electronics which when the voltage is high a transistor conducts and the relay pulls in and when you move the regulator lever the voltage drops

making the transistor switch off and the relay drop out and so closing its contacts, which connect the now 8 volts to the servo motor moving the rod that connects to the steam valve and red and green lights, releasing the control lever puts the high voltage

back on the track the transistor conducts the relay pulls in the conntacts open the motor stops and the engine moves off.

If you have got that then the next bit that happens along with the above is that moving the lever on the controller as has been

said uses a much lower voltage but by moving the lever to the LEFT the voltage sent to the engine will be low 8 volts but be + and - making the motor turn to the left, but moving the lever to the RIGHT the voltage will now change being - and + and the small

motor will now turn to the right.
As the Meerkats on the TV would say "simples yes" So good track linking is a good idea it keeps the volts up for the heaters and stops the motor running which might happen on poor track. hope that helps

Archived