Three wishful thoughts...

Alessio

My wishlist at present is a three-part one...

First of all, I'd like to see Hornby expand their range of Victorian/pre-grouping 4- and 6-wheel coaches, including brake coaches. The current 4-wheel coach looks very much the wrong dimensions to me, and I think with projects such as the Knotty Vintage Train public interest has been lifted too. Plus coaches similar to those used on the Tanfield railway - basic, 4-wheel coaches, maybe from industrial backgrounds.

Secondly, I'd like to echo the recent cries for more pre-1923 stock - but also for appropriate accompanying stock or locos. So, if producing a GNR loco, it would be good to see Hornby plans for suitable coaches to follow - maybe not the same year as we know budgets are stretched for the average punters these days - but if 2017 saw a loco and 2018 brought matching stock for example, that would represent a logical progression and development of the range.

Finally, more industrial tank engines. Aside from the upcoming W4 and the L&Y Pug, the other four 0-4-0Ts currently offered by Hornby are all out of scale, and the Holden and the SR 0-4-0 look particularly out of place now. The W4 is a fantastic announcement; maybe some more 4-wheelers could follow using the same chassis? And more importantly (for me) along the same lines I'd love to see a Hunslet 16" 0-6-0ST. A staple of industrial railways in Britain and now of preserved railways alongside the Austerities, the potential for different liveries is almost endless meaning that a well-tooled model could be an attractive prospect for many years to come.

Interested to hear what others thinkg :)

I like your ideas and on the whole agree with you.  Though I would not be interested in buying any. Two reasons one: not my time period.  And two: i have decided two only buy what would have been seen on the MR mainline has a cost cutting exercise. With a few exceptions of childhood wants. So even the forthcoming new releases like  the LNWR  Coal tank. Which could be see as a splendid Ex-LMS loco for many will not be added to my Ex-LMS stud. So new tanks no matter how charming will not be bought.

And reading other posts as well as taking to some modelers it seems alot of people are in the same boat. 

And Unfortunately I think Hornby for the time being are going to be very careful with there investments the same as myself. Until there circumstances turn around hopefully.  

• 1 year later...

I agree.....Hornby need to diversifiy and take risks. After all, they will not get out of the mire simply by standing still and re-ashing current examples alone. The Peckett was an absolute success. (Well done Hornby!) Industrial is a area that doesn't get much attention, yet it offers modellers of limited space and finances great opportunities. Not everything in Hornbys catalogue is to everyones taste but throw the net far enough and you're bound to get a good catch.

Myself personally, would like to see the Hornby 9F brought up to their highest standard (they're nearly there!) and a Caprotti Black 5. Nobody to date has attempted one of these.

Bill 

Archived