The Golden Arrow

LCDR

Because Hornby is the leader in RTR super detail Pullman cars how about adding the 1951  'Festival of Britain' series cars to the range in the future. These were classified type 'U' and could be distinguished by the rectangular lavatory compartment window. They were built for use on the 'Golden Arrow'  and were some of the few original style Pullman cars that were repainted blue & grey in 1969.

For most of their working life they were in standard umber and cream, and when on use on the 'Arrer' could be behind a Britannia, or a Bulleid Pacific until 1961 when the class 71 electrics took over. As such they would be perfect for running with Hornby's model locomotives in authentic train formations.

I would think once Hornby is in a better financial footing. They will turn to doing them. It is just a matter of time.  Though I only need to BSK coaches to finish off my Bachmann mk1 pullman's set. The Horrnby one's are lovely coaches.  And had to have some Pullmans even if I they are out of my modeling time and location. 

• 3 months later...

I really  do hope that the real U class cars might actually appear. The three that are described in train pack R3400 as 'U' cars are in fact modified 1926 K cars still on Pullman Standard bogies converted to match the proper new 1951 U cars which ran on Gresley bogies. The full list of Pullmans that ran with the Golden Arrow  after 1951 are -

Aquila (U type  First Kitchen) 305 EH 1961

Aries (U type  First Kitchen) 304 EH 1961 Hornby Dublo 1960

Carina (U type  First Kitchen) 307 EH 1961 307

Cygnus (U type  First Parlour) 308 EH 1961 308

Hercules (U type  First Parlour) 309 EH 1961

Isle of Thanet (converted K type First Brake Parlour) 247 EH 1961

Minerva (converted K type First Brake Parlour) 213 EH 1961 Hornby Train Pack 2017

Orion (U type  First Kitchen) 306 EH 1961 306

Pegasus (U type  Bar Car) 310 EH 1961

Perseus (U type  First Parlour) 301

Phoenix (converted K type First Parlour) 302 EH 1961

Car No 34 (converted K type Second Parlour) 192 EH 1961 Hornby Train Pack 2017

Car No 35 (converted K type Second Parlour) 193

Car No 36 (converted K type Brake Second Parlour) 194 EH 1961 Hornby Train Pack 2017

Car No 208 (converted K type Brake Second Parlour) 208 EH 1961

Car No 303 (U type  Second Kitchen) 303

The list also shows the Pullman Co. Schedule Number which was not usually visibly applied to the vehicle, except that the few painted blue carried these numbers prefixed and suffixed 'S'. It also gives the date that electric heating (EH) was reported to be fitted to enable them to work with the HA class Bo-Bo electric locos. Not all were fitted.  And some were reserve cars that rarely appeared on the service. Car No 35 ended up working off the Southern on other Regions.

I the 1950s 7MT 4-6-2s 70004 William Shakespeare and 70014 Iron Duke were regular motive power for the 'Arrer'.

K class cars Niobe, Car No 75 & Car No 83  were electrically heated in 1962.

In June 1964 only cars Aquila, Carina, Isle of Thanet, Minerva, Orion and Phoenix were allocated to Golden Arrow service.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived