eLink - Programming Track Issue.

Railway_Ron

Hi Guy’s, 

Does anyone know to test the power outage from the eLink Programming Track. I have been trying to set up a point decoder, but it’s not communicating with the eLink. The decoder partially works when connected to a select unit, so I was wondering if there may be a problem with the eLink unit. But saying that, when the eLink is connected to the track, all loco’s run OK. Don’t know if the problem is the eLink unit or the decoder??

Given you are up to programming accessory decoders, you should have already programmed loco decoders.  Did these work?

The track and programming output are of course separate and so one could work and the other not, but we also know this sort of fault is rare.

If before posting, you've checked out the numerous other posts on programming 8247s, you should know that problems can occur if both the track and the programming outputs are connected when programming.  Have you tried with the track disconnected?

Fishmanoz,

The main power to the track has been disconnected (This has not been an issue in the past) so only the programming track is wired. I have tried to change the speed setting on a loco to establish if the proggramming track is working, but communication failed. What I need to know is,  is the pwoer feed to the proggramming track via e-link constant like it is on the main track.  I know that these decoders can be temperamental, but with the hornby unit there is no way of telling if its working.

I,ve just had an Idea how to test the power source, will be back later,  thanks Fishmanoz. 😮

@R-ron

the prog output is not constant like the track voltage, it is only there during actual programming, so your meter reading will fluctuate.

If no output at all during programming have a look at your cable ends to make sure the bare wires are held by the PROG spring terminals and not the insulation.

Hi Guy's,

I remembered that I have a spare Train Tech 4 way decoder that has a fault on No:4 port, but it still lights up when powered.

I've changed the wires and connected this to the programing track and tried to set port 1 with a set of points commected. Still no communication between the e-link and the decoder. I have then tried using the Hornby R8247 decoder just using a set of hornby R406 coloured signal lights, again no comunication beteeen the two.  I am now convinced that there is no power to the programming terminals on my e-link.   Any other suggestions!

• 4 years later...

I have encountered a similar problem with eLink today. I have been building a layout for some time and bought a non DCC ready engine that I installed a Hornby 4 Function decoder in. When I connected to my test track and tried to read the CV's I got a message saying that the track was not connected. I have checked the wiring and the main TRACK is not connected to the eLink. I have checked that the Data wires are connected ok. But nothing! Reading/following previous posts on this in 2016, does not help. Could my eLink be faulty?

You have used the term 'Test Track' and not the term 'Programming Track'. You then say that you have not connected the 'Main Track' to the eLink. This seems to infer that you have connected this 'Test Track?' to the 'TRACK A&B' output of the eLink in place of the normal 'Main Track'. If this interpretation of your connection is correct, then read on from the next paragraph. If this interpretation is not correct and you are indeed using the 'PROG A&B' output, then I would suspect your installation of your decoder in your new purchase. Try reading the CV of a known good working DCC fitted loco to prove the eLink 'PROG A&B' output as functioning or not.

When you want to read and write CVs to a locomotive decoder using an eLink. You use a short piece of track [say for example a Hornby R601 or R603 track piece] and this is connected to the output on the back of the eLink labelled 'PROG A&B' preferably by direct to track soldered wires. You then place the loco on this short programming track piece [anything longer than a short programming track, like for example a 'test layout track' should be avoided]. The DCC decoder configuration commands come out of the 'PROG A&B' output not the 'TRACK A&B' output.

There is no measurable voltage that can be read with a normal multimeter on the 'PROG A&B' terminals, so it is not at all easy to see if that output is working without ideally using an Oscilloscope.

You go on to say that you got an error? message saying "the track was not connected". This statement is rather confusing as there is no such error message that I am aware of that uses that word phrasing. The eLink has no electronic interface that I am aware of that is able to detect the presence or not of an attached physical track. Posting a screen grab of this error message would help immensely.