OO Gauge Bassett Lowke Collection Idea

Choobacca

A few months ago I saw some beautiful Bassett Lowke locomotives and wagons in a model shop in Sheffield.

Unfortunately, such things are out of my price range, though it did make me think that maybe Hornby could make a range of Miniature OO Gauge

Bassett Lowke locomotives and wagons which have a similar gloss painted finish.

It might attract a new group of classic toy collectors aswell as appeal to collectors of gloss painted die-cast vehicles.

It is the use of metal construction and gloss paint that gives that kind of finish. 1950s Hornby Dublo was made in a similar way. Present day replica Hornby Dublo (Cooper Trains) is frightfully expensive, so I don't think any reproduction Bassett Lowke

shrunk to OO would be much easier on the pocket. It is the plastic that helps to keep the price down.

Maybe they could use some of the existing OO Gauge tooling and just use gloss paint instead of matt.

The Flying Scotsman at the top of this page looks gorgeous in Gloss Green:
https://www.hornby.com/shop/bassett-lowke/

So does the Tootal

Broadhurst here:
https://www.hornby.com/shop/bassett-lowke/bassett-lowke-locomotives/bl99041-bassett-lowke-br-4-6-0-patriot-class-e-tootal-broadhurst-rebuilt/

Hi, I have one of the new Bassett Lowke (BL) Flying Scotsman O Gauge locomotives as well as a Hornby OO one (I have a lovely wife - both were presents from her at different times). The finish on the BL one is amazing and I expect the high gloss is only

achieved on the metal components. I think it would be hard to do the same on 'plastic'? It runs great too. I once took it to a BL Meeting and watched it pull, with ease, a rake of ten metal coaches - very sure footed. The train was about eighteen feet long

- lovely.

I have good fun with my Hornby OO Flying Scotsman too. (Both pulling specials on Southern metals of course!)

Your ideas of OO BL type metal models is novel but interesting.

The metal models in O gauge have a certain solid robustness that somehow OO fails to achieve. I model in both scales (not both at the same time) and I have Bassett Lowke, ACE and Darstead locos as well as original Hornby tinplate. I was exhibiting some

vintage Triang at the NRM last year, and the chap on the next layout was running ACE A4s on 16 LNER Coronation carriages. That was IMPRESSIVE! When I run my remotored Hornby Metropolitan locomotives round my garden line even they waltz away with long trains

of tinplate carriages and look very good even at a distance. (I am Metropolitan / Great Central out doors)

The Hornby Dublo trains, even though they are metal, don't really do it for me I am afraid.

Heljan make gloss painted versions of a few models, it doesn't look right to me though. I think gloss looks wrong on smaller scales because the reflections can't be scaled down. This isn't so much a problem for Basset Lowke due to the larger scale and

the way the tinplate construction looks more toy-like anyway. :)

Archived