Installing Railmaster on Windows 10 Laptop

Hello folks,

Am about to install Railmaster on my Windows 10 laptop but what documentation that was provided with the (Western Master with eLink) train set does not mention this particular version of Windows.  No mention in the addendum sheets of Win10 so I'm a little confused as to what to do.

Do I need updated software and is there a special installation procedure I should follow (and will the software key work okay).  AM on the anniversary edition of Windows 10, if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance!

J

not sure about windows 10, I recently installed RM but not sure what windows version I have But it did work first time no probs I didn't have to do anything. 

one bit of advice given to me was to throw the cd in the bin and use the link at the top of this Forum so u get the latest version of RM, all you need from the cd is the code.

@Spooky's Human

Good advice re the CD and key from Dazzler.

To answer your question about Windows 10 and especially the Anniversary edition of it.. no problem at all installing RM on that or any version now of W10 to be truthful.

Use the link provided to my site here and it will tell you how to install it, how to stop background resources slowing your machine down and there is plenty advice on which antivirus/anti spy and malware programs to use too. The site is also linked from the topmost post currently on this sub-forum.

http://octaviancs.com/railmaster/rm.php

Just click on 'Installation' and there are two pages to get you going. There is also a download link to the latest version within that first page so either of the links (mine or Dazzler's) mentioned will get the latest version of RM.

If you have issues with comms, firewall or any other issue then the site should cover them... esp. the comms issue where 'Tips and Tricks' contain the lines of code to fix this and how they should be used.

You shouldn't go wrong with the instructions given.

Win 10 i7 laptop.

Spare copy of RM from Hattons for UK use.

I simply downloaded and installed the latest version with admin rights from the link, then input my code from the DVD box and allowed it to sort itself out and register on line

5 minutes tops from start to running, given the hardware was ready to be connected.

Rob

• 2 years later...

Well after 5 hours following every help topic I could find about E-Link I was close to taking the lot back to the store. but horay I found a solution for my high spec windows 10 laptop.

this is a very simple solution that I hope others will find works for them too.

Right click on the railmaster icon and change the compatability settings to windows 7. hay presto it worked straight away with no other changes needed after checking the coms was correct 1st.

Thanks for the tip S...R

You added to a three year post so some of the original posters may have moved on having cured the problem or given up.

Maybe you could add exactly which laptop you have, Win10 variant, etc so folk with similar can advise if they have had the same problem and/or if your tip works for them.

You should still be able to get RM running in a native Win10 environment though, without resort to running in compatibility mode.

Whilst I say well done for doing that and getting going I must admit that you shouldn't have to use that setting at all, no matter what version of W10 you have or what hardware is installed on a PC or laptop.

Purely out of curiosity for myself, and as RAF has suggested, please post your specs so we can see if anything is specific to you or anyone else.

During development of the new Elite update installer I used a PC ‘tool’ to collate the spec of my PC/laptop, including the various chipsets,  into a text file. I will see if I can dig it out.

It was found that the chipsets had more bearing on the updater working on newer PCs than the Win OS, hence why we are asking for more info on your device.

Further to the above. The app I used is CPU-Z which can be safely downloaded from here...

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

You can get it for 32 and 64 bit windows and other platforms.

Once installed and run you will see this gatherer screen, from where you can select each tab and save the data as a txt file as indicated by the highlight in the TOOLS drop menu here...

/media/tinymce_upload/9c590c6a85c700106762a6f3724ac8bc.jpg

You can then paste that report into your reply on the forum.