Hello and advice please

guitarmark

Hi all

I have recently got back into Scalextric (for the kids, honest...) and have set up a layout using new Scalextric sport track.

My questions for now regard servicing and maintenance of cars - can people advise what should and shouldnt be done in this respect, how to do, products to use etc.Cars for the moment are:

3 x Scalextric Ferrari F430 - all well used now but still working well. However, one is quicker and holds the road significantly better than the other 2. Any ideas what to look at and how to get them all running well and even?

Scalextric Aston Martin DBS - not performing well, seems 'Sticky' to drive. What to look at/do?

New Scalextric Lightning GTs- seems a little 'patchy and one in particular seems to have a guide blade/brush attachment that comes off too easily.

New Scalextric Minis - fine at the moment. Bit prone to sliding but assume this is how they are meant to be.

If I'm OK to post this part, I also have a second hand Carrera Evolution Ferrari 575 GTC. Motor fine, grip very poor. Has improved a bit with sanding and oiling the tires but not great and not as good as I had it once tires sanded and oiled first time. Spare tires rather hard to find at the moment!

Hope this post is OK, thanks in advance for advice

Mark

Most of the best advice is here:

https://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/five-tuning-tricks

You may want to check if the magnets are pulling the same on each car too...

Carrera cars tend to have higher "downforce" because the Carrera track is slipperier.

I use super glue to tighten up lose plastic connections: I take the part apart and apply thin layers of super glue (allowing to dry after each layer) and testing the fit until they fit fine. In the case of the guide blade/braids I would replace it though...

Lubricating the motor and the gears is vital. Here is a good video showing how:

I personally use "sticky grease" for electric trains on the gears because I figure they need to "bite" and it also makes them run slightly quieter.

Number one rule of oil: Less is more. If you see oil dripping out you used too much!

Any oil that is safe for plastics is fine. Most machine (3-in-1) oil is safe these days but you can also use oil for model trains as well.

Archived