HELP: Major disaster with setting up Railmaster & necessary firmware upgrade for Elite

Biggless

I have just spent a frustrating 2 hrs trying to get going with my RailMaster software. I have a good spec laptop (2 month old HP running Intel core i5 processor and Windows 7). I had no issues loading the software and registering the software online. Then

the fun started. I religiously followed the instructions on the leaflet coming with the RailMaster software. My Elite controller had the originall v1.0 firmware so I went through the process to upgrade. But I got the "error in open port" issue. I then read

the more detailed info in the manual supplied on the software CD and this gives the line about best to upload firmware using a computer running XP. Very helpful Hornby, a) not mentioned in printed instructions coming with RailMaster and b) Windows 7 has been

around for over 1 yr! I then read the stuff about holding in the STOP button for 15s etc.. BUT, my Elite now seems to be stuck in upgrade mode. I have tried all the extra instructions for Windows 7 but no success. [b]I now have RailMaster I can not use PLUS

my Elite is stuck![/b] Hornby or other experts please help.... how can I get my Elite going again? and what next to try again to up grade the Firmware ? Thanks for any suggestions

If I was in your position I would give Hornby a call tomorrow to help you out.

In the meantime, since I don't think you can do any damage to anything, I would try resetting the Elite ( its in the manual how) and see if you can get that to operate.

If it resets ok then I would re-try the firmware upgrade and then think about Railmaster.

Anyway, I am sure you will get it all running again soon - its a bit stressful, I know.

Steve

You need to install the firmware before you can do anything.

Try and follow the firmware update instructions on the DCC pages.

Read through them all first, at the bottom it tells you what to do if you get the "error in open port" fault message.

You

won't be able to do anything until you can reinstall the firmware.
If all else fails you could send it back to Hornby who will update the firmware for you.

Cheers

Ian

Ihave had the same problem, just changed my laptop; and have Windows 7 on it. Had problems changing the programme across, managed with help from Hornby BUT no end of problems loading the firmware on the Elite. Exactly the same happened; I lost everything

on the Elite. Spent about 8 hours trying to sort it; in the end I had to use my wifes old laptop which uses XP and then had to slow down the bits per sec before I could get the firmware to update. As you say, once it fails you are stuck as the Elite loses

all the Boot memory and will not start up!
Once I had the update I have had to uninstall Railmaster and reinstall to get the Windows 7 to find the Elite. Now I still have problems as the laptop will not see the Elite; says there is a problem with the driver

but I'm unable to update the driver. Anyone have any ideas on how to install a driver for the Elite on Windows 7?

I had an error message recently saying I had a bad driver although it turned out to be no more than getting the software to read the correct port which was Com6 on my laptop. This runs Win 7 64 bit. Can't say that this is your problem but I vaguely remember

this sorting me out. With other issues I have had with tis darned software I am only able to give a hint here and not a 'solution' without recreating it. Hope this helps...

UPDATE! - as Hornby help line knocks off early on a Friday, I had further attempts over the weekend and finally managed to update the firmware using my wife's laptop. Also runs Windows7 but who knows why it worked, still took numerous attempts but finally

I now have my Elite running. Now I am having the same issues as Captant and AugustusCaesar. I have tried the instructions for Elite on Windows 7 but still without success. I think it is linked to COM port numbering. Off to have another go ! One has to wonder

how rigorously the Hornby software designers have tested their product. I have a good quality laptop (2 months old costing > £700), I followed the instructions very carefully and after nearly 1 week I am no further forward.

i have a newcomputer it cost 1680 quid
its not a money problem
its a win 64bit problem

before trying to install
go to properties for the setup program
set to run in compatability mode ie: win xp service ack 3
and check the run as

administrator box

should work then
my laptop is win7 64bit and all isworking fine

rgds
mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for advice. That is a good idea. Since I made my last post, I did manage to get it working once, briefly... about 5 mins and then it locked up and despite all efforts have not been able to get it to link again. To be clear, my Elite

is now successfully updated to v1.4 and my laptop is running Windows7 32bit. I'm going to follow up your idea and get windows running in compatability mode - fingers crossed.
Regards.

Archived