Removing bodyshell class 156

MPW

Grateful for advice on how to remove bodyshell from class 156 so I can fit the DCC chip. The 'operating and maintenance instructions' only say 'unclip body from sides and ease off by lifting upwards'. Has anyone achieved this on this model and can share the secret of the unclipping part?

In case it's relevant, I have the 'DCC-Ready' R2695, which runs ok on DC but now needs to enter the digital age...

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Typically when instructions say 'unclip' along the body sides. The use of some thin plasti-card or an old plastic Bank card cut into strips and slipped between the body and chassis, holds the clips apart to aid body removal.

/media/tinymce_upload/d190d0f7a4765e38124f7cf435042419.jpg

Double check to make sure that there are no hidden screws in the chassis underside that are used to secure the interior moulding aka seating. Loosening these screws (if present) can, on some models, provide more slack between the body and chassis.

Chris,

Thanks for your quick and very helpful reply. With the help of a thin screwdriver and a slice of such card, all is now very well. I've ordered the decoder and look forward to having this model going DCC very soon.

Cheers

PS interesting that the destination blinds say Norwich on this Scotrail unit. 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

For this model I suggest you don't remove the entire bodyshell; jus the roof is enough to give access to the DCC socket

I thought there was another thread on here where the answer to ‘how do I remove the body’ was ‘you don’t, just the roof’.

As usual the forum search engine fails to find it.